Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#197627 11-22-2018 05:37 AM
Jan2000 Offline OP
OP Offline

Hello everyone!

I never expected to find myself on a page like this but here I am.
I'm 20 year old woman and l discovered a month or so ago that I have bump on the right side of my soft palate, close to the gum. Its also next to a missing molar I have that had to be taken out due to a massive abscess a few years ago. I genuinely did not think it was anything serious because you can't see it, not even with a torch and there is no skin changes. Only when I press on it very hard does it cause pain. If I run my tongue over it, it just feels like a small bump but when I touch it with my finger, something like a grain moves inside it. I also noticed that I have a see through lesion thingy on my tonsil on that side and I only noticed that because I was using the torch on my phone to see the lump in my mouth and decided to look at my throat as well. I have a dentist appointment booked for the 4th of December but I'm absolutely terrified. 3 days ago, I had tests done to rule out breast cancer and on the same night this lump popped into my mind and of course I googled and nothing good came up. I've never smoked or had a drink and I don't have the HPV virus. I do get cold sores but they always go away with a bit of cream and don't happen often. I know you guys are not medical experts and refrain from giving advice but I am absolutely terrified and this is affecting my studies during a crucial exam season. I have no other symptoms that I can think of. Does anyone have any idea as to what it could be? I will go to the dentist regardless because I have severe health anxiety and it's scaring me.

Thank you to anyone who is willing to read.

Administrator, Director of Patient Support Services
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
Administrator, Director of Patient Support Services
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

Welcome to OCF, Jan! Im so very sorry you're concerned about your mouth. Hopefully what you have going on is nothing serious and its easily fixed. There are so many different things it could be besides cancer!!! Many adults will have an occasional mouth sore once in a while during their lifetime. Most are nothing serious but occasionally someone will have a mouth sore thats been there for over 2 or 3 weeks and it has not resolved itself. At that point its time to get the sore checked by a professional. The best professional to check the spot would be an ENT (ear, nose and throat doc) who specializes in treating oral cancer patients. I suggest seeking out an ENT to check your mouth and take a good look at your mouth sore. Id advise you to still keep your dental appointment but also make an ENT appointment. Unfortunately many dentists arent familiar with oral cancer and do not offer oral cancer screenings to their patients as their focus is only on their patients teeth. Im wishing you all the very best with this. Please keep us posted on how you make out. Good luck!!!

Christine
SCC 6/15/07 L chk & by L molar both Stag I, age44
2x cispltn-35 IMRT end 9/27/07
-65 lbs in 2 mo, no caregvr
Clear PET 1/08
4/4/08 recur L chk Stag I
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
8/24/09 trach, ND, mandiblctmy
3wks medicly inducd coma