Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#197296 10-05-2018 08:00 AM
WillWeb Offline OP
OP Offline

I will be having my first PET scan next week, and I need a high-protein, very low-carb, zero-sugar diet the day before. The problem is, I’m already on a liquid diet; even soft foods such as cottage cheese are extremely painful to eat. I’m pretty much subsisting on milkshakes, Ensure/Boost, and ice cream with occasional small amounts of smooth soup. I’ve become hypersensitive to spicy or sour foods (this is totally unlike my previous normal diet). I guess broth would be an option, and I was thinking of going to the store and looking at the Atkins Diet stuff. Any other suggestions?

HPV+ tumor base of tongue & lymph nodes
9/12/18 MRI; 9/27 biopsy
WillWeb #197297 10-05-2018 08:33 AM
Platinum Member (300+ posts)
Platinum Member (300+ posts)

I don't remember them telling my husband this. I"m sure he ate his fast food right up to the time he was no longer allowed to eat.

I follow a keto type diet which fits the bill for what you are looking for pre-scan. Watch the broths as many have sugar in them especially beef broths.

I offered to make bone broth smoothies for my husband but healthy food....never, no way.

when I was on faculty at a dental school, we did oral surgeries to fix people's jaws before/after orthodontics....many put their favorite foods in a blender and drank it as their jaws were wired shut for 6 weeks during healing. just a thought. i know a cheeseburger shake probably doesn't sound so good but I guess after a few weeks, I would be willing to try it!

Last edited by ConnieT; 10-05-2018 08:35 AM.

Spouse of 58 yr old with BOT cancer
Stage 4a HPV16 positive
3 chemo treatments cisplantin
35 radiation treatments 7000 cGy
former smoker/chewed tobacco for 38 yrs.
1/2020 diagnosed with cancer near TMJ
4/2020 chemo 5 days every 2 weeks
6/2020 proton therapy
9/21/2020 cancer free
WillWeb #197301 10-05-2018 10:25 AM
Administrator, Director of Patient Support Services
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
Administrator, Director of Patient Support Services
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

Welcome to OCF, Will.

There definitely are things patients should do to prepare for CT/PET scans. I would suggest adding high protein whey powder added into drinks or soup (use the unflavored one). The whey powder is readily available in most grocery and drug stores. Protein helps speed healing.... on a limited diet this is even more important. To prepare patients getting ready to get a CT or PET scan, they should drink lots of water the day prior to, day of and day after the scan as well to help flush the dye or contrast out of his system. You should also avoid exercise, any exertion and get extra rest the day before and of the scan.

As you already know, milkshakes and smoothies are easier going down than many other things. Im glad to see you are using ensure /boost already to try making the most balanced diet you can have. The following list should help you to find things you can eat easily like canned peaches (these will slide right down) or cream soups. I also enjoyed yoo-hoo and chocolate milk during rads and recovery, plus the extra calories sure didnt hurt. You may find something on this list would help you too, after your scan.

Milkshakes and smoothies are easier going down than many things. Also try ensure or boost to try taking in the most balanced diet as possible. The following list should help you to find things you can eat easily like canned peaches (these will slide right down) or cream soups. I also enjoyed yoo-hoo and chocolate milk during rads and recovery, plus the extra calories sure didnt hurt. You may find that would help you too.

List of Easy to Eat Foods

Here is a recipe for something I used to make and drink when I went thru treatments and recovery in 2007. This shake has anywhere from 1500-2500 calories depending on how its made. The list of easy to eat foods may help you too, they mostly have a smoother texture and are easier to eat than most other foods.

(All measurements are estimates)

Giant High Calorie Choc-Peanut Butter Milkshake

3 or 4 cups chocolate ice cream (regular/full fat type)
2 tablespoons peanut butter (smooth type)
2 tablespoons chocolate syrup
1 or 2 cups whole milk (can substitute half and half to add even more calories)
1 scoop carnation instant breakfast
1 scoop high protein whey powder
(protein helps with healing, check with doc if this is ok)

Blend this extra long to make it very smooth and creamy so it goes down easier. If the shake is too thick, add more milk to thin it down to whatever consistency works best for you.

I almost forgot... Centrum now has an adult liquid multivitamin thats readily available at grocery and drug stores. Ive been taking it daily for 6+ months and can honestly say its helped me tremendously. Check with your doc before adding anything to your diet... you just never know even something insignificant over the counter could cause undesired results so its always wise to ask before using something new.

Best wishes with your upcoming scan!!!

Christine
SCC 6/15/07 L chk & by L molar both Stag I, age44
2x cispltn-35 IMRT end 9/27/07
-65 lbs in 2 mo, no caregvr
Clear PET 1/08
4/4/08 recur L chk Stag I
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
8/24/09 trach, ND, mandiblctmy
3wks medicly inducd coma
2 mo xtended hospital stay, ICU & burn unit
PICC line IV antibx 8 mo
10/4/10, 2/14/11 reconst surg
OC 3x in 3 years
very happy to be alive smile
WillWeb #197309 10-06-2018 12:05 AM
Supporting Member (50+ posts)

No sugar is the main thing, as well as starches. The solution they inject is sugar based with radioactive tracers. The sugar highlights any cancer spots in your body that may be there so having no sugar the day before is key as that will interfere with the scan. Your blood sugar level will be tested before the injection. So if you can drink high protein, sugar free smoothies or milk shakes, soups with meat put through the blender, sugar free ice cream, will help.

Diagnosed 11/17 SCC right side of tongue
Surgery 2/18 Partial Glossectomy
Radiation 3/18 - 5/18
Clear PET scan 10/18
Non smoker, occasional alcohol use
WillWeb #197311 10-06-2018 05:00 AM
WillWeb Offline OP
OP Offline

Thanks for the great suggestions. For years I’ve been trying to avoid excess fat in my diet so it’s hard to make the switch to seeking it out. I’ll pick up some whey powder, and I think I’ll try making some keto-style beef soup for the blender - just doesn’t seem natural to do it without potatoes or barley. I guess I could make a big batch keto-style for prep day and then add barley to the rest.

HPV+ tumor base of tongue & lymph nodes
9/12/18 MRI; 9/27 biopsy
WillWeb #197334 10-07-2018 01:08 PM

Once you start treatment Will, you will need to be adding fat and calories to your diet. You won't feel like eating or drinking but you must. Christine will be here pushing you to hydrate and eat more, you'll need it.

Diagnosed 11/17 SCC right side of tongue
Surgery 2/18 Partial Glossectomy
Radiation 3/18 - 5/18
Clear PET scan 10/18
Non smoker, occasional alcohol use
WillWeb #197337 10-07-2018 01:25 PM

Your hospital should have given you a check list.
But here is something from Cedars Sinai.
Also, I remember they told me to keep warm, and not to exercise the day before, or that day.

Foods allowed:
All meats and poultry.
Hard cheeses.
Nonstarchy vegetables, such as: broccoli, spinach, green beans.
Nuts and unsweetened peanut butter.
Diet soda and zero-calorie drinks. (Be careful to avoid caffeinated and decaffeinated drinks. ...
Tofu.
Eggs.
Oil, margarine, butter.

Best wishes, hope all is clear.

Enlarged left cervical lymph node in neck on 1/9/18. Male, age 60. Had retired from working as a computer technician and a project manager for almost 38 years, on 7/1/17.
Node was removed 1/16/18 and found to have SCC P16.
Chest xray clean.
Since then, PET/CT, slight activity left parotid, possible malignancy left lingual tonsil. MRI clean.
3 endoscopies, nothing seen.
2/26/18 Larryngoscopy,primary not found.
TORS 3/23/18 lingual tonsil biopsy.,biopsy negative.
Chemo/rads started 4/18/18.

Moderated by  Brian Hill 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916, Megm37
13,103 Registered Users