Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
OP Offline

This is my first post here, although I've been reading for months and find this forum most helpful
I had a partial glosectomy (one third off) to remove tongue carcinoma and neck dissection on the left side on April this year Luckily no Rad nor chemo were needed
But I have a constant electric feeling on the side of my tongue where surgery was done and for a month I am also dealing with several mucocele on that side too
Would like to know if anyone had suffered those and wether surgery was needed or resolved on their own with time
Also if the constan funny electrical taste (bearable) does eventually go away or I will need to get used to it
Thank you so much for any experience sharing or advice
Will be very much appreciated

Male 42
Scamous carcinoma left side tongue
Stage 2
April 2017 partial glosectomy and neck dissection
No rad or chemio
Back to almost normal speech stil dealing with nerve damage in left arm

Senior Member (100+ posts)
Senior Member (100+ posts)

The "electric" feeling is probably nerve based. (Kind of like touching your tongue to both terminals of a 9 volt battery?) That would also be the reason behind the taste issues as well. Actually I'm a little surprised your not having similar issues with your neck from the dissection also. Like all nerve damage, it should resolve itself over time, but will annoy the heck out of you until then.

Double check with your surgeon just to be sure.

Good Luck

1997 SCC Tumor on tongue - Partial Gloss
1997 Met to Lymph
Radical Neck Dissection / 2nd Partial Gloss
6 weeks chemo and radiation
Brachytherapy
2011 Stroke
2014 Recurrence SCC at Base of Tongue / Hemi-gloss
Free Flap reconstr from thigh
PEG Tube
Radiation
Permanent Issues with speech and swallowing
2018 - Bleeding throat / mouth
2019 - Bleeding throat / mouth
2019 - 3rd diag Cancer SCC Base of mouth / jawbone
2019 - Aug remove portion of jaw / right pec det / free flap closure and tongue

OP Offline

Thank you so much for taking your time to answer

The 9 volt battery is EXACTLY how I describe it (although I didn't know the correct translation to English) I told my doctor about it and kind of told me that it might be in my head.. I knew it wasn't and that is why I decided to write here in search of another patient who could validate the sensation as real
So thank you for that!! (Doctors are great at their jobs but they have their tongues intact so they can't really relate)

As for the neck I do have restricted movement of the left arm as a result of the nerve damage, I've been told it can take up to a year or more.. in the meantime I’m going to physiotherapy rehabilitation trying not to loose more muscular mass.

3 months after surgery I started to have recurring mucoceles I don't know if this is typical after partial glosectomy but I sure hope they heal on their own - I'm not quite ready to have any kind of even minor surgery on my tongue any time soon

Male 42
Scamous carcinoma left side tongue
Stage 2
April 2017 partial glosectomy and neck dissection
No rad or chemio
Back to almost normal speech stil dealing with nerve damage in left arm

Moderated by  Eva Grayzel 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260