Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
8Dawn Offline OP
OP Offline

Hello to everyone and sorry it has been so long since I have written. I read all your amazing stories of strength and hope everyday and my family has learned so much for all of your experiences. Anyway, my father finished his rad treatments in May and has gone down hill ever since. The radiation played havoc on his throat and mouth. He lost about 50 pounds and eventually had a tube put in for feeding. Check up's went well until late Novemember when a biopsy of his tonsil came back positive. Now he is faced with surgery--tonsil, some of his tongue, roof of mouth, jaw and some lymph nodes. He has to gain a few pounds before they can do the surgery and needless to say, his spirits are as low as can be. He is 71 and we are so scared that he may be too weak to beat this thing. Are there others out there that have faced surgery after rad treatments and were in a rather weakened state?? His doctor at the James Cancer Hospital in Columbus, is hopeful. Love and prayers to all of you fighting this battle!

OCF Founder
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
OCF Founder
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

I too had surgery after radiation when I was at my lowest mentally and physically. While I was younger than your father, and the surgery was less extensive, it sure took the wind out of my sails. But here I am 5 years later to talk about it. If he is scared he is normal, all the things you mentioned that he went through after radiation were normal for a typical patient as well. If he needs to talk with someone, have him contact me. I will give you my number by email if you like.

Brian, stage 4 oral cancer survivor. OCF Founder and Director. The first responsibility of a leader is to define reality. The last is to say thank you. In between, the leader is a servant.
vb Offline
Supporting Member (50+ posts)
Supporting Member (50+ posts)

My mother went through something very similiar to what you describe. She had neck surgery followed by a full course of radiation which ended in August. By December it was evident that she needed surgery to remove over 1/2 of her tongue part of the floor of her mouth and her right mandible. She was in the hospital for a month during which time she turned 79. Eventually she returned home and was self sufficient. The surgery was no picnic and she had lasting effects to her speech and all food had to be pureed before she could eat it, but she persevered and did very well on her own. We were surprised at how well she did due to her age and the extensive surgery that she underwent.

Vince

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
amndcllns01, Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916
13,104 Registered Users
Forum Statistics