Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
dsm Offline OP
OP Offline

My husband Tim finished 36 IMRT treatments on August 29 and 3 chemo (2 Cisplatin/5FU and 1 Cisplatin) on Sept 16. He had his tonsils removed as a kid, but the ENT told us they didn't get it all and it has been growing back inward all this time. He developed a severe case of mucositis 2 weeks into treatment on July 20 and was hospitalized for a week and again after the second round of chemo. (Good ol' 5FU.) He was put on a feeding tube on July 20 - and is still using one. He can't swallow at all. I realize it is different for everyone, but can those of you who were on a feeding tube tell me how long you were on it after treatment? He is diabetic and takes 10 cans of Glucerna a day. He swishes with soda/salt mixture and Biotene mouthwash. Any other ideas?
Sheila

Wife to Tim Right Tonsil CA IV dx 6/24/05, IMRT 36 treatments ended 8/29/05, Chemo (cisplatin and 5FU) ended 9/16/05
"OCF Down Under"
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)
"OCF Down Under"
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)

Hello Sheila

Sorry your husband has been so ill. I had tonsil cancer also, even though my tonsils were removed when I was 4 yrs old. Apparently my primary tumour was on a tonsil remnant.

I can't help with the feeding tube info as I didn't have one but wish your husband the best for his recovery - it is slow because the treatment is so aggressive.

Love from Helen

RHTonsil SCC Stage IV tx completed May 03
Platinum Member (200+ posts)
Platinum Member (200+ posts)

Hi Sheila,

I also had horrible mucositis. As you say, good old 5FU (we all know what FU stands for). I stopped treatment December 6th. I wasn't able to have the tube removed until February 1st. I was able to start eating the last week in January, had my neck cut on Jan 31 and the took the tube out the next day. I know it is hard, but he must just bear with it. I took 9 bottles of boost a day. I also found the Walmart nrand to be good for protien and calories. hang in there, the worst is over with.

Steve

SCC, base of tongue, 2 lymph nodes, stage 3/4. 35 X's IMRT radiation, chemo: Cisplatin x 2, 5FU x2, & Taxol x2. Hooray, after 3 years I'm in still in remission.
Gold Member (200+ posts)
Gold Member (200+ posts)

Sheila,
It's not unusual for people to remain on the feeding tube for quite awhile after treatment. My husband relied on his for 5 months after treatment ended.

Things will get better.

Anita

Husband Dx 12/02 Stage 4 Tonsil Cancer T1N2bM0; surgery, radiation, chemo 1/03 - 4/03.
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)

Hello Shiela,

I was on the feeding tube for seven months. I was inputting 8 cans of Jevity per day. I flushed the tube after each feeding with alot of water. You don't want the tube to clog up, plus you need the water. You don't want him to become dehydrated. I used a syringe to input the Jevity. One rule of thumb is one month recovery for each week of radiation. Measure his progress in weeks not days.
Things will get better, It just takes time.

Have his doctor write a script for the Jevity or whatever brand you use. Your insurance company should pay for all the supplies also. They even delivered all I needed free of charge. They may balk but if it's the only way he can eat they should pay.

Wishing you the best, Danny Boy

Daniel Bogan DX 7/16/03 Right tonsil,SCC T4NOMO. right side neck disection, IMRT Radiation x 33.

Recurrance in June 05 in right tonsil area. Now receiving palliative chemo (Erbitux) starting 3/9/06

Our good friend and loved member of the forum has passed away RIP Dannyboy 7-16-2006

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
amndlors01, Kval, iMarc845, amndcllns01, Jina
13,107 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums23