Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#177901 03-03-2014 09:55 PM
Gold Member (200+ posts)
OP Offline
Gold Member (200+ posts)

Hi Folks,
Felt like giving an update on some good news. I am 4.5 years past tx. And I have had the new normal with some problems, specifically neck pain and difficulty is swallowing. Back in October I had my second bout of aspirated pneumonia. They did a swallowing test and found out that my larynx dos not close to my epiglottis very well. I Aspirated often, every meal, I thought it was normal. Well since about November 1, I have thickened my liquid I eat with a thickening agent, to a nectar consistency. I also am fairly religious about daily neck exercises. Well the good news is that after 4 months, things are very good. 95% fine. I still do aspirate a bit, but not like before. I am a tough grader and I am giving the method an "A". There are for sure some bad meals, but over all I am quite happy.

So for those of you who do have this problem, talk to your docs, I also went to a speech person. At one time I thought I would never eat normally again. And I don't know what the future holds, but right now, things are good and it is now safe to eat in-front of me with out getting a food shower! I do eat slow, but it sure is nice again.

Heck, I might even start to gain some weight.

I also think that one key to this recovery is to never give up.Yes, we do have challenges but being our own advocates and dedication does yield success...I hope.

Stay well and if you are back east stay warm!!!!!

Steve

70 male, athlete...again
SSC of undetermined orgin , early july 09
40 tx radiation, 8 chemo cisplatin and ebuterx
finished TX in mid Sept 09
Clear at the 6 year mark!
Back to swimming, biking and running! just a tad slower
never regained my weight, even when I eat lots and lots, just a skinny guy now

Just way glad to be seeing the green side up!

tristeve #177907 03-04-2014 09:44 AM
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)

Steve, congrats. That's a great story to read. I think that for 95% you should add a + to that A. And a commendation from the Principal.

Per your advice I got myself a tub of Simply Thick. It certainly works as you noted. Easy to use and stays in solution. My only beef with it is the taste, which I'm assuming comes from the xanthan gum that forms its base. Since I use it only in thin liquids, and pretty much only drink water and coffee and sometimes juice, I've found that for the former it helps to cut it with apple juice. But I imagine that in time, like most things, I'll become accustomed to it.

Keep up the great work!

David 2
SCC of occult origin 1/09 (age 55)| Stage III TXN1M0 | HPV 16+, non-smoker, moderate drinker | Modified radical neck dissection 3/09 | 31 days IMRT finished 6/09 | Hit 14 years all clear in 6/23 | Radiation Fibrosis Syndrome kicked in a few years after treatment and has been progressing since | Prostate cancer diagnosis 10/18

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916, Megm37
13,103 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums23