Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
WendyT Offline OP
OP Offline

Hello
When they did the surgery on me in Dec., he did remove a pretty good size chunk (one inch by one half inch deep) larger actually than I had thought, for analysis. I guess the plan was that it (hopefully) would have just healed normally. Of course it hasn't turned out that way. One thing I want to ask the doctor next week is whether or not the lump / growth (whatever it is) is on part of the area where he cut in Dec. or if it is just next to that. That may sound kind of stupid on my part, but this is really far back on the right side of my tongue so it is hard to tell.

After I scheduled the last surgery, My Mother (who lives pretty far away from me) had asked me why he couldn't just do a biopsy in his office?!! -Makes sense, actually. Well he gave me an explanation- of a course I couldn't remember his exact words when telling it to her. The general idea was that he wanted to be thorough, which makes sense too, especially when you consider how many years I was in pain with the Leukoplakia, and didn't get a biopsy. The ENT said that he could biopsy one spot and it could be benign / normal, but then there could be another spot a half an inch away that could be cancerous. I think that's why hetook the size sample out that he did...... Although I am now wondering if it was big enough?

When I saw the ENT on 1-7, one of the things he told me about the lump / growth in question was that it had an "irregular shape". I asked him outright what he thought the chances were that it was cancerous, and he said thirty percent. I just can't imagine what else it could be, mainly because of the fact that three weeks ago it wasn't even there.

It does only hurt when I touch it and / press on it -mostly it just feels weird. Maybe it is superficial, as you had mentioned. Correct me if I am wrong (my brain isn't working this morning) -but by superficial, you meant that it would be mainly on the surface (in other words, it doesn't go very deep?) Hopefully that's the case.

I probably should change my diet. I have quit drinking wine, which I will miss. Maybe I will have to stop drinking coffee as well. There are some acidic foods, like oranges, for ex., that I have not been able to eat for years. I love fresh tomatoes when I can get good ones - don't know if I could give those up.

I appreciate all the information, the support and the hugs! Hugs to you too!

WendyT Offline OP
OP Offline

I don't know if they froze the sample they removed in Dec. or not.... I just know that it was benign. I was just telling someone else that even though they removed a good sized sample (1" x 1/2" deep). maybe they didn't remove a large enough one.

The problem I have is also on the far back right side of my tongue. A lot of times it's hard for me to get a good look at it.

I was sorry to hear that you are getting ready to undergo treatment. I hope everything goes okay with that, and that you start feeling better soon!

WendyT Offline OP
OP Offline

Hi Christine
I was looking at your post again, and I just had a question about something you said. You said that what I have on my tongue could be "any number of things". I am just wondering what the other things could be. I should have asked the doctor on 1-7. I had so many questions for him though, and they are always in a hurry. Maybe I should ask him before he does the surgery on Thurs. I am trying to think positive, but it is now larger and slightly more painful.

Thanks

Wendy

"OCF Canuck"
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
"OCF Canuck"

Wendy... The mouth is a funny place there are so many things that could be going on... oral thrush (surprisingly painful) cankers any number of issues - even lichen planus.

I would ask him to clarify what he thinks it might be.
now the size of the area he removed for you was the actual size my tumor. My dr. removed it and his smallest margin was .6cm - when he did that - he grafted my tongue and removed nodes.

You have a sizeable chunk of tongue missing, and they are planning to take more?

The only thing that concerns me is going under the knife so many times. ;o) good luck.

Cheryl : Irritation - 2004 BX: 6/2008 : Inflam. BX: 12/10, DX: 12/10 : SCC - LS tongue well dif. T2N1M0. 2/11 hemigloss + recon. : PND - 40 nodes - 39 clear. 3/11 - 5/11 IMRT 33 + cis x2, PEG 3/28/11 - 5/19/11 3 head, 2 chest scans - clear(fingers crossed) HPV-, No smoke, drink, or drugs, Vegan
WendyT Offline OP
OP Offline

Hi Cheryl
The suspicious lump / bump is right next to the suspicious Leukoplakia patch the doctor removed in Dec. It feels kind of hard, especially compared to what was removed in Dec., and that is one of my concerns (and the doctor's as well). All he is planning to remove is this lump / bump -however it has gotten bigger. I'm not saying it's big. It might be 3/8" x 1/4" .. That is just a rough estimate. It seems that if it was benign it wouldn't have gotten bigger. It wasn't even there a month ago. It just popped up while my mouth was healing (or at least I thought it was). The doctor didn't measure the suspicious area -at least I don't think he did, and I don't understand that.

Let me know if you have any more thoughts about this.
Thanks

"OCF Canuck"
"OCF Canuck"

that's a fair size lump it sounds a bit bigger than a pea maybe a chick pea. I would be hoping it might be forming scar tissue or perhaps granulation tissue which sometimes forms from having a fair sized wound. It doesn't often grow. Surprisingly, benign tumors do grow - so it could be something benign.

Bottom line... You want it out. No matter what it is it has no business being there.

Once you get the results then you'll be able to breath easier regardless of the results because at least then you can have some type of answer.

best of luck

Cheryl : Irritation - 2004 BX: 6/2008 : Inflam. BX: 12/10, DX: 12/10 : SCC - LS tongue well dif. T2N1M0. 2/11 hemigloss + recon. : PND - 40 nodes - 39 clear. 3/11 - 5/11 IMRT 33 + cis x2, PEG 3/28/11 - 5/19/11 3 head, 2 chest scans - clear(fingers crossed) HPV-, No smoke, drink, or drugs, Vegan
WendyT Offline OP
OP Offline

Hi Cheryl
I would say it's smaller than a chick pea. As far as benign tumors are concerned... I thought they grew more slowly than that. Let's hope that somehow it is benign. I am far more worried (as far as the possible outcome of the biopsy) this time than I was before the first surgery. I should know more about what I'm dealing with by Mon. or Tues.

Thanks again!

WendyT Offline OP
OP Offline

Well I got through my surgery okay. I have been experiencing more pain this time though.... Not sure why. My throat is very, VERY sore. I'm sure you can relate to that. I don't think the doctor knows what it is.... At least I don't think so. After I asked him a lot of questions, he brought up the possibility of dysplasia and also "granular_______(?)" I don't remember what the other word was, but I think it had to do with scar tissue. I was listening, of course, but I had a hundred things going through my head at the same time.

It is going to be a long 3-4 days of waiting for me to hear back about the biopsy. I'm sure you can relate to that too!!

"OCF Canuck"
"OCF Canuck"

Did they put you out for this surgery? I am assuming so and since they are operating on your mouth maybe they put something in your throat to help with breathing? Granular tissue - it happens with scar tissue. Hopefully that's all it is. 3-4 days is a good time frame some can take up to two weeks.

hugs and fingers crossed it's good news...

"OCF Canuck"
Contributing Member (25+ posts)
"OCF Canuck"
Contributing Member (25+ posts)

Sorry you are here, and even more sorry you have to deal with this pain, all without a clear diagnosis. Mentally, it's easier to deal with anything having a definite name, history, etc.

One thing that might help your pain is to get your doctor to prescribe (if required) some Oral Lidocaine Topical Solution. It's a thick liquid you gargle, swish around and spit out. The ...caine part of it numbs things nicely. Good luck.

Ja 2013 tongue, red sore spot, r/r edge + white strip underneath, no pain
Al Bx on spot, strip, and vocal cords, lab rep benign
Oc 24 Surgeon follow-up, larger Bx req'd
Oc 25 Bx bits to Vanc. Cancer lab
No 14 MD said more ca investig'n req'd
No 19 Prince George CC, MRI & CT
No 20 PGCC Oncol says cancer
De 2 Vancouver Cancer Centre, PET/CT
De 31 VGH partial glossX + ex spot on vocal cords
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters