Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#171 07-18-2002 03:45 PM
OCF Founder
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
OP Offline
OCF Founder
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

I just wanted to put up a quick post regarding those survivors who are routine visitors to the board, and who consistently respond with compassion and kindness to the strangers who come here looking for answers, or sometimes just a patient listener. I know that many of you have also developed direct email relationships with some of these new patients and family members of patients. While the site is about half up with informational pages (by years end we will have another 100 pages up, time and money willing), this message board is the real heart of the OCF web site. But it would be nothing without the generous contribution of time and concern that many of you put into it. Next time you read a post, look under it to the location of the poster and next to that you will see the number of posts, in all categories, that person has made. Some have broken the 100-post mark. I am so proud of those of you who contribute so freely both your ideas and time to help others, and I want to thank you for making this board a viable, and helpful entity. The oral cancer information that I put up in the rest of the site is only part of helping others. The direct contact patients and family members make with survivors is just as important, if not more so. You are truly extraordinary individuals.

Brian, stage 4 oral cancer survivor. OCF Founder and Director. The first responsibility of a leader is to define reality. The last is to say thank you. In between, the leader is a servant.
#172 07-18-2002 06:04 PM
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)

Brian, I think I can speak for almost everyone here when I say that I am so extremely grateful for the information I received here that allowed me to face PEG, surgery, radiation, and chemo unafraid, that I feel compelled to offer the same kind of help and information to those who come after me.

The kudos are really due YOU, for providing this wonderful gathering place, unlike any other available.

Thank you, Brian!

Joanna

#173 07-19-2002 01:59 AM
Platinum Member (200+ posts)
Platinum Member (200+ posts)

Brian, I must say that you are the heart and soul of this board. I only wish the forum had existed in July 2000 when I was informed that I had Oral Cancer. I was so scared and had no one to talk to or who understood the panic I was going through. Consequently, I tried to help and keep calm those who come to the forum for information. Thanks again for your dedication to the board. Anne

Anne G.Younger
Life has never been better.
#174 07-19-2002 03:32 AM
Senior Member (100+ posts)
Senior Member (100+ posts)

Brian, Thank YOU for all your hard work in putting this site together and everything that you continue to do. And on top of all the work you do on the site you are always a wonderful source of information and compassion to those of us going through this. I really admire you and what you have done and continue to do. THANKS!!
Julie

Julie
Wife to Kelly
SSC tonsil Stage IV
July 2000
#175 07-19-2002 05:33 AM
Gold Member (100+ posts)
Gold Member (100+ posts)

Brian........I remember about 3 years ago when I bumped into you in CyberSpace and you first told me of the Oral Cancer Foundation.....you and your dream of the Foundation have come a long way, baby! This Foundation wouldn't be possible without you and your dedication to making it happen. It is because of YOU that we all have a place to meet...a place to learn...a place to vent...a place to make new friends who have "been there, done that." No one has to go through this journey alone anymore and we all know what a HUGE deal that is!

Your vision is now a reality. The Oral Cancer Foundation is up and running and helping people every single day of the year! What an accomplishment my friend!

THANK YOU!

Sincerely,
Donna

SCC first time 1989, with a diagnoses of 'cancer in situ' removed lesion, no other treatments.
SCC recurrence 1997 of tongue and floor of the mouth. Stage III /IV Hemmiglossectomy (removed over 60% of tongue/ floor of the mouth), free flap, modified neck, RAD and Chemo(cisplatin, 5fu) simutainously.
Cancer free 6, yes, six, years!
#176 07-19-2002 01:35 PM
Supporting Member (50+ posts)

Brian
I agree with everyone else here..it is you who have made this wonderful site what it is!! Without you, and your efforts,so many people would think they were alone in this battle. I am so grateful, not as a patient, but having been the caregiver, to have been able to come here and vent, ask many questions, and pour my heart out. I hope and pray that some day, I will be able to make a difference in someone's life as you and the members here have done for me. Even though my work as the caregiver is done, I continue to come here every day and research and learn and sympathize. Thank you for making a difference in my life. Words will never be enough to convey to you the respect and admiration I have for you, Brian, as well as all the members here. May God bless you all!
Brooke

Hope is the one thing no one can take away from you!!!
#177 07-22-2002 03:09 PM

Brian,
I have to add my thanks. This is such a wonderful support and I want to make sure that everyone who needs it will know about it. In my local support groups I have met survivors of other cancers but this is the place where I've been able to meet oral cancer survivors who understand the special issues that we deal with. THANK YOU BRIAN!

ilene
SCC stage 1 1987, 1/4 of tongue removed, neck dissection, SCC stage 3 2000, another 1/4+ removed second neck dissection, radiation.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
amndcllns01, Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916
13,104 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums23