Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Platinum Member (300+ posts)
OP Offline

Well, I seem to be healing okay. That is the good part. (Hurts like crazy but it is within normal.)

The path report shows reasonably clear margins. We got the tumor we were going for. But there was a micro tumor in another section. Apparently I am just full of micro tumors waiting to sneak up and grow. So, my surgeon says we are done with surgery, because continuing to take out slices is just not efficient. Oh, and it was SCC, moderate to poorly differentiated.

We see a radiation doctor and another oncologist for options, next week. I have met the radiation guy before, and I am okay with him. Not sure what he will suggest. The other guy. . . I met his partner months ago to talk chemo, and I will not go to him. I am hoping his partner will be better.

So. . . very scared right now. All those bullets I dodged this summer are coming for me now. I can barely handle surgery recovery. Granted, this is my third surgery this year, but still.

Just wanted to update. I don't even know what questions to ask. Iasked them all this summer. I just want to run away and hide.

Surgery 5/31/13
Tongue lesion, right side
SCC, HPV+, poorly differentiated
T1N0 based on biopsy and scan
Selective neck dissection 8/27/13, clear nodes
12/2/13 follow-up with concerns
12/3/13 biopsy, surgery, cancer returned
1/8/14 Port installed
PEG installed
Chemo and rads
2/14/14 halfway through carboplatin/taxotere and rads
March '14, Tx done, port out w/ complications, PEG out in June
2017: probable trigeminal neuralgia
Fall 2017: HBOT
Jan 18: oral surgery
Contributing Member (25+ posts)
Contributing Member (25+ posts)

Yeah. Makes perfect sense that desire to hide. Darn stuff follows you though. Although it may not feel exactly feel like it finding new stuff early is a good thing (relative to finding it later at least.).

SCC Started in the right tonsil they think, T1N2bM1
HPV+
Lots of nodes involved including some near the carotid - didn't come out during neck dissection
Distant Met's - one in the mediastinum, some suspicious stuff in the lungs
Radiation 70 Gy in 35 fraction
Cisplatin - 3
Stereotactic rad to the mediastinum
Clean PET Apr 13
Clean PET Aug 13
Clean PET Dec 13
Clean CT with contrast Mar 14
Clean CT with contrast Sept 14
Clean CT with contrast Feb 15
"OCF Canuck"
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
"OCF Canuck"

Hopefully they will move quickly based on the path. Shop around but beware of time - if you still have cancer present it can move quickly based on the differentiation, I would want rads as fast as possible - chemo too as they generally go hand in hand. It is a one foot in front of the other proposition. Get through it day to day until you're done. There shouldn't be too many questions to ask other than the type of chemo - how frequently - how many rads - will it be bilateral (with more micro tumors I would hope for a yes - More fall out but better chance of stopping it) and HOW SOON - like NOW?
I'm not being facetious here, you really do want to move ahead quickly - just in case I have stressed that already.

I know you are scared... Just dig down deep and say - I'm gonna do this. Now let's get it over with. You should have a hearing test of its cisplatin they are planning and you will need to see a dentist and have flouride trays made. Hugs and best of luck.

Cheryl : Irritation - 2004 BX: 6/2008 : Inflam. BX: 12/10, DX: 12/10 : SCC - LS tongue well dif. T2N1M0. 2/11 hemigloss + recon. : PND - 40 nodes - 39 clear. 3/11 - 5/11 IMRT 33 + cis x2, PEG 3/28/11 - 5/19/11 3 head, 2 chest scans - clear(fingers crossed) HPV-, No smoke, drink, or drugs, Vegan
Senior Patient Advocate
Senior Patient Advocate

Hang in there. Take each day one at a time. Keep us posted.

David

Age 58 at Dx, HPV16+ SCC, Stage IV BOT+2 nodes, non smoker, casual drinker, exercise nut, Cisplatin x 3 & concurrent IMRT x 35,(70 Gy), no surgery, no Peg, Tx at Moffitt over Aug 06. Jun 07, back to riding my bike 100 miles a wk. Now doing 12 Spin classes and 60 outdoor miles per wk. Nov 13 completed Hilly Century ride for Cancer, 104 miles, 1st Place in my age group. Apr 2014 & 15, Spun for 9 straight hrs to raise $$ for YMCA's Livestrong Program. Certified Spin Instructor Jun 2014.
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)

Kristen, I agree with Cheryl. Although it seems incredibly scary, you need to be incredibly brave. I hope you have people around you who are supportive. Without question you have a whole family here and we'll do everything we can to help. Doctors should be sensitive to the fact that you might prefer one partner over another, even another practice altogether. If they aren't, those aren't the doctors for you. You really want to be comfortable with all of your oncologists, so please stick to your guns if one is not making you feel welcomed and cared for.

Let us know how it goes next week.

Courage!

David 2
SCC of occult origin 1/09 (age 55)| Stage III TXN1M0 | HPV 16+, non-smoker, moderate drinker | Modified radical neck dissection 3/09 | 31 days IMRT finished 6/09 | Hit 14 years all clear in 6/23 | Radiation Fibrosis Syndrome kicked in a few years after treatment and has been progressing since | Prostate cancer diagnosis 10/18
OP Offline

Thank you all so much for the support!

Forgive my language, but it totally sucks to be incapable of travel. So many foljs want me to travel to get other options, and I Just Can't. It is hard to tell dear friends and family to just back off!

On the blessing side, a man at my church sees one of my ENT's partners, and he has done well through multiple recurrences. It helps me hold my ground on that choice. And my psychiatrist's nurse is trying to get me a liquid form of Lexapro. Once my meds get back in shape, that will help sone. My anxiety issues cause severe nausea and lack of appetite, and I get the impression that would synergize badly with my efforts to survive rads.

This forum is literally and figuratively a life saver. Thank you!

Surgery 5/31/13
Tongue lesion, right side
SCC, HPV+, poorly differentiated
T1N0 based on biopsy and scan
Selective neck dissection 8/27/13, clear nodes
12/2/13 follow-up with concerns
12/3/13 biopsy, surgery, cancer returned
1/8/14 Port installed
PEG installed
Chemo and rads
2/14/14 halfway through carboplatin/taxotere and rads
March '14, Tx done, port out w/ complications, PEG out in June