Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 9 of 11 1 2 7 8 9 10 11
#15674 11-02-2004 11:36 AM
"Above & Beyond" Member (300+ posts)

Jamie, my doctor's, particularly the rad doctor, told me the side effects can last up to 2 years. That the full use of all of my faculties, taste, swallowing, sore throat, deep voice, etc, could take up to 2 years to repair themselves as much as they will ever be able to do. So tell mom not to worry too much as she is rounding the corner and on her way to getting well. Will pray for her comfort and improvement soon.

Regards, Kirk Georgia
Stage IV, T1N2aM0, right tonsil primary, Tonsilectomy 11/03, 35 rad/3cisplatin chemo, right neck dissection 1/04 - 5/04.
#15675 11-02-2004 12:55 PM
Senior Member (100+ posts)
Senior Member (100+ posts)

Jamie,
It sounds to me like your Mom is about to turn the corner. Remember the old saying that it's always darkest just before the dawn.

In my own case, the side effects of radiation peaked at about 8 weeks after the last exposure, then things started improving rather quickly. The burns on my neck (and in my throat) started healing up, which led to increased comfort, and improved swallowing. The muccousitis cleared up, the exercises that the speech/swallowing therapist gave me started to take effect, and overall my quality of life started to improve.
Telll her to hang in ther, improvement is just around the corner.
You'll both be in my prayers

Chuck

SCC Stage IV right tonsil T3N3M0. Dx 08/03. Clinical Trial:8 weeks Taxol, Carboplatin then Hydrea, 5FU, IMRT x's 48, SND, Iressa x 2yrs. Now 20 years out and thriving. Dealing with a Prostate cancer diagnosis now. Add a Bladder cancer diagnosis to all the fun.
It's always something
"Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it."
#15676 11-03-2004 04:56 AM
Uptown Offline OP
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
OP Offline
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

Jamie,

I am glad to hear you are busy, provided it is some time for you to catch up on things that were pushed aside for a while now. A real paradox of the treatment is that in order to eat and swallow you have to eat and swallow but you can't. It really makes it difficult to get back into the swallowing thing because the body has to learn to swallow in spite of the damage to all the muscles used for swallowing. Practice will make it better. It hurts at first but the more you swallow the easier it gets. I could not swallow ice and still after over a year it seems to stop at some ledge about 1/3 of the way down and then the cold just burns. I can drink milk shakes but eating ice cream gets painful. I can feel the lump where it stops but can't do much about it. I have just eaten my 3rd meal today without water. I had blueberry pancakes and bacon with water afterwards. It is hard for me to believe that 13 months after the end of radiation this is the progress that has been made.

Get your mother to try and swallow something. I started with milk and moved up to spaghetti noodles and then with sauce. Water was actually more difficult for me than anything else. Work the muscles. There is a great cookbook for people with swallowing issues and it explains all the muscles involved. It makes sense after the damage from radiation one would struggle with swallowing.

I hope your mom turns the corner soon.

Ed

SCC Stage IV, BOT, T2N2bM0
Cisplatin/5FU x 3, 40 days radiation
Diagnosis 07/21/03 tx completed 10/08/03
Post Radiation Lower Motor Neuron Syndrome 3/08.
Cervical Spinal Stenosis 01/11
Cervical Myelitis 09/12
Thoracic Paraplegia 10/12
Dysautonomia 11/12
Hospice care 09/12-01/13.
COPD 01/14
Intermittent CHF 6/15
Feeding tube NPO 03/16
VFI 12/2016
ORN 12/2017
Cardiac Event 06/2018
Bilateral VFI 01/2021
Thoracotomy Bilobectomy 01/2022
Bilateral VFI 05/2022
Total Laryngectomy 01/2023
#15677 11-03-2004 01:35 PM
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)

For some reason water is more difficult to swallow than thick/semi fluid.In my case, I could take congee throughout and after treatment but when it came to soup, it took me quite a while drinking it without choking. Ed, I understand how you feel when discovering that you can eat without help from water. For a Chinese meal that usually goes with rice and a lot of veggies, this experience can really happen even earlier than 13 months post treatment since the rice is soft and veggies especially melon type can help to get your food down more easily. Depending on what I have for dinner, sometimes I don't need any sip of water for the whole meal but with dry food like meat or chicken, every bite goes with a small sip of water. So naturally, my diet now is directed to more veggies and less meat, which I think is much healthier. Eating or swallowing isn't a problem to me now-- 3 years post treatment. So things can get better slowly and gradually.

Karen.

Karen stage 4B (T3N3M0)tonsil cancer diagnosed in 9/2001.Concurrent chemo-radiation treatment ( XRT x 48 /Cisplatin x 4) ended in 12/01. Have been in remission ever since.
#15678 11-05-2004 02:25 PM
Contributing Member (25+ posts)

Jamie-

Please ask her doctor if you can get a referral for a speech pathologist and/or physical therapy. They can help her not only with gentle/lymphatic massage like Mark suggested but they will help her learn to retrain/adjust to her atrophied or damaged muscles by compensating with different ones. The dysphasia (swallowing difficulties) tends to increase some of the anxiety that goes with just the recovery process (I work with patients that often have difficulty swallowing and sometimes they get full blown panic attacks). Like there aren't enough different things to adjust to after treatment then have to struggle with the difficulty of "if I swallow - where's it going to go?"

Karen? Did you have issues with the rice? I seem to recall Ed having a tough time and more than once having it go one of three places (the nose, the trachea or the esophagus). Scared me more than once. He still can't talk while sitting at the table eating. Something about it seems to throw the muscles off and work the way they're supposed to with the opposite function/intent. ARGH! Fretful for us almost as much as him!

Hang in there Jamie! Its kind of neat that your mom asked you to ask the real experts (the cancer surviors themselves)! Wish her well for me and tell her I am so pleased at her progress to date.

Susan

Caregiver to Uptown/Ed, SCC Stage IV, Base of tongue - Completed Chemo (Cisplatnin/5FU) and 45 days' simultaneous Radiation 10/08/03
#15679 11-05-2004 05:18 PM

Hi Susan, it depends on how much water you add to the rice when cooking. If it is soft, there isn't problem especially if I take a mouthful of rice with other food like melon or soft veggies. If the rice is a bit 'hard', I may need to take some sauce or soup to get it down. I did have problem when I was still fresh from radiation and so I had taken congee for almost 6 months. When I dine out now in Chinese restaurants and if they have both rice and congee, I still order congee. Easier to take.

Karen.

Karen stage 4B (T3N3M0)tonsil cancer diagnosed in 9/2001.Concurrent chemo-radiation treatment ( XRT x 48 /Cisplatin x 4) ended in 12/01. Have been in remission ever since.
#15680 03-29-2005 10:25 AM

Hi, as you can see i havent been here for some time. everything was looking good and the doctors all told my mom that it looked like they had gotton everything from the chemo and radiation so they didnt need to do the neck dissection. well, yesterday she got a call with results from the four month followup pet scan and the doctor says there is something that looks suspicious. omg here we go again. so any ideas from anyone? they have to do some more tests but would like to schedule surgery asap for the dissection. she is worried about getting back to work. (h yeah a side note, from the radiation treatment, her esophugas(?) had shrunk up to the size of a pin hole, so we have gone in and had about 6 dialations in the past two months and now it is the size of a nickel and she is starting to be able to eat some soft foods but still has the feeding tube.)has anyone out there,or know anyone who has had a set back this quick? is this something that sounds really bad? she is just getting somewhat back to normal and now we dont know what is going to happen. thanks all jamie

jbentonwolfe
#15681 03-29-2005 11:09 AM

jbentonwolfe, welcome back. Sorry your mom has had this problem raise its ugly head again. Some of the members who have had recurrances I'm sure will comment. I'm one of the lucky one's, so far, and have not had any additional issues. Please let her know she's in my thoughts and I pray this isn't a recurrance, just a suspicious shadow caused by the rad. Extra tests will tell the story. God bless.

Regards, Kirk Georgia
Stage IV, T1N2aM0, right tonsil primary, Tonsilectomy 11/03, 35 rad/3cisplatin chemo, right neck dissection 1/04 - 5/04.
#15682 03-29-2005 12:11 PM
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)

Hello again Jamie, scans can have false positives, in fact it is fairly common with PET scans because many things besides cancer can show up (infections for instance). Several people have had that happen. I'll hope for the best.

Mark, 21 Year survivor, SCC right tonsil, 3 nodes positive, one with extra-capsular spread. I never asked what stage (would have scared me anyway) Right side tonsillectomy, radical neck dissection right side, maximum radiation to both sides, no chemo, no PEG, age 40 when diagnosed.
#15683 03-30-2005 05:49 AM
Gold Member (100+ posts)
Gold Member (100+ posts)

Hello Jamie; Please don't worry in advance. Suspicious cells are just that until they are positively identified. I had some "suspicious cells" that turned out to be scar tissue.
That being said, I did have a recurrance fairly soon after my rad Tx which necessitated an extended neck dissection two months ago. My prognosis is poor (the docs say) but until someone decides to pay me for time spent worrying, I think I'll just enjoy this particular time of being cancer free, and deal with the other stuff if and when it comes along.
I wish you peace and calmness as you continue to be such a wonderful caring supporter to your Mom. She is truly blessed to have you.
All the best,
Fran

SCC Base of tongue diag. April 04 Stage IV, mets to rt. neck multiple nodes 35 rads+8 boosts First recurrence Jan05. Rt.rad neck dissection Feb02/05. Recurred with bone mets in neck July 05.
Committed to survival with dignity.
Page 9 of 11 1 2 7 8 9 10 11

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916, Megm37
13,103 Registered Users