Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 15 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 14 15
Senior Member (100+ posts)
Senior Member (100+ posts)

Hi, have you tried soft boiled eggs?My husband lived on them throughout the treatment and the Carnation VHC. That seemed to go down easily. The eggs were soothing, oatmeal was too rough for him. We also were able to do pancakes that had smooth edges. He soon moved to pasta and spinach. I hope that it all subsides soon. I hope that this helps but we are three months out and he is eating steak, fish, lasagna, omelettes, french toast on soft bread, yogurt and soup. Keep trying things, it will all get better soon. My hubby was very discouraged and bored with his diet but each week he tries something else and now things don't taste like wallpaper paste any longer. Persistence is the word of the day.

caregiver for husband
diagnosed with oral cancer May 2011 after 6 mo
node lft side and several in jaw involved
Base of Tongue Stage IVA
7 weeks radiation
Cisplatin-3 chemos (beginning,middle,end) IntraV administration
Senior Patient Advocate
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
Senior Patient Advocate

Pat, all sounds normal and as others have said he should "walk out of this tunnel" in 2 to 3 weeks and begin his recovery. Re the mucous, be prepared for when this phase ends the dry mouth phase usually begins. For most it's really severe at first. Not painful just really really DRY. I had to keep a water bottle in every room of my house and every car was equipped with several bottles as I would always seem to leave my bottle somewhere in a store and not remember until I was driving off. The dry mouth phase along with his taste will recover slowly over the next 2 years until it reaches his new normal. Tell him that he needs to be patient as we have not found anything that speeds up our post Tx healing process.

David

Age 58 at Dx, HPV16+ SCC, Stage IV BOT+2 nodes, non smoker, casual drinker, exercise nut, Cisplatin x 3 & concurrent IMRT x 35,(70 Gy), no surgery, no Peg, Tx at Moffitt over Aug 06. Jun 07, back to riding my bike 100 miles a wk. Now doing 12 Spin classes and 60 outdoor miles per wk. Nov 13 completed Hilly Century ride for Cancer, 104 miles, 1st Place in my age group. Apr 2014 & 15, Spun for 9 straight hrs to raise $$ for YMCA's Livestrong Program. Certified Spin Instructor Jun 2014.
Patdeb Offline OP
Supporting Member (50+ posts)
OP Offline

So glad to hear about the chemo, I had my concerns and it makes me feel better. I asked Pat's onc about the shot. I got it several times during my chemo for breast cancer. He said that it is not necessary so we are just being very careful and staying out of public places. Unfortunately we are staying away from the grandchildren too since they have runny noses. Good news, yesterday I came home for lunch and Pat was eating a cream soup, another new item on the menu!!! Yesterday things improved a little bit and the evening was easier by adjusting some meds. I am off tomorrow so think it is time for some therapeutic out of the house time, maybe up by the water. I read a couple of things yesterday, one was using pineapple juice to help cut the mucus and the other was Aloe Gel mixed with water to help heal the throat. Your thoughts?

Debbie, caregiver to Pat my loving husband of 32 years. T1
N2a M0 squamous cell carcinoma of the left base of tongue. Started on concurrent cisplatin and radiation, first
cycle was 09/26/2011, 35 rad, 2 chemo. Last Rad 11-11-11 at 1!!!!
Administrator, Director of Patient Support Services
Administrator, Director of Patient Support Services

Sorry but I have not used either one. I would suggest asking the doc. I would think pineapple juice would burn his mouth. When someone is just finishing radiation everything burns a overly sensitive mouth. Even regular water bothered me, it tasted burnt and it hurt to drink.

You are smart to keep your husband away from young children and crowds til his immune system bounces back. Another shot to boost white counts is procrit. Check with your husbands MO about if he needs to get the shots. If his numbers are that low, he should get a shot.

Glad to hear your husband is doing a little better with eating. It will be baby steps for a while then you will begin to notice his recovery is going better.

Take it day by day smile

Christine
SCC 6/15/07 L chk & by L molar both Stag I, age44
2x cispltn-35 IMRT end 9/27/07
-65 lbs in 2 mo, no caregvr
Clear PET 1/08
4/4/08 recur L chk Stag I
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
8/24/09 trach, ND, mandiblctmy
3wks medicly inducd coma
2 mo xtended hospital stay, ICU & burn unit
PICC line IV antibx 8 mo
10/4/10, 2/14/11 reconst surg
OC 3x in 3 years
very happy to be alive smile

Pineapple hurt my throat whet I was getting treatment. The first thing I got down after I was done treatment was warm tea with milk. To me, 7 weeks out, warm tea still tastes better than water and feels good on my throat.

I hope this helps.

scc bot stage IV diagnosed July 2011 - 52 y/o
concurrent cisplatin and rad started 8/8/11 finished 9/26/11
Peg in 8/26/11 out 11/14/11
Patdeb Offline OP
OP Offline

Thanks! I am going to insist on blood work on Tuesday when we go for a follow up with his Radiation Oncologist. I thought it was strange they were not doing anything to boost him up and will definitely be questioning that. Still struggling with the night time crashes. About 5-6 pm starts getting chills, pain and fever goes up slightly although still under 100. Looking forward to getting out tomorrow together and just chillin.

N2a M0 squamous cell carcinoma of the left base of tongue. Started on concurrent cisplatin and radiation, first
KP5 Offline
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)

Hi Deb,
I don't understand why they didn't jump on the low counts. That should really be addressed to your medical oncologist. He shouldn't be having a fever at all, I wouldn't think. I'm not a doc though. Kevin got the Neulasta with each Cistplatin tx.
I'm glad Pat didn't get burns on the outside of his neck. Kevin STILL has open sores there, though they are almost gone. We figure 1 more week and he should be bandage free.
We also had our Cistplatin before radiation, then Erbitux with radiation. I think it's interesting how different docs handles things.
I think I also told you Kev has pretty much eaten eggs everyday. Not softboiled though, we scrambled them and added a little cheese.
It sounds like getting out is a good idea. Just remember to be proactive about the low counts. I hope you have fun tomorrow!!!

Kathy wife/caregiver to:
Kevin age:53
Dx 7/15/11
HPV16+ SCC Stage IV BOT/R
Non smoker, casual drinker
7/27/11 Cistplatin, taxotere,5FU 2/3week sessions, followed by IMRT 125cgy x 60 (2x daily) w/Erbitux weekly. Last rad 10/26/11. Last Erbitux 10/27/11
PEG placed 9/1/11 Removed 11/8/11
Clear PET 10/12 and 10/13 and ct in 6/14
Patdeb Offline OP
OP Offline

Thanks Kathy! Today was french toast and breakfast together! Progress! Our big celebration will be ribs someday, Pat has been craving them since he hasn't been able to eat "normal" food. We are going to try the eggs and cheese tomorrow. We have a friend that is finishing his first week of treatment and you are so right about different doctors and different methods. He has the daily radiation and chemo every week for 6 weeks, 6 hours each time. We were advising him to be sure to take his pre and post nausea meds and he let us know he doesn't have any.

Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)

With a count that low the low grade fever and chills are concerning however everything I've read says to get to a Dr if the temp goes to 100.5 or greater. The important thing is to minimize exposure as his body really won't have the tools to handle infections or illness. The flu at this point would wreck him so hand washing, minimizing exposure and making sure he's hydrated and good nutrition is about the only thing you can do if he's already getting Neulasta.

Debbie, you're doing a great job by the way, keep up the good work! Caregiving is the hardest job on the planet and you're rockin it.

Eric

Young Frack, SCC T4N2M0, Cisplatin,35+ rads,ND, RT Mandiblectomy w fibular free flap, facial paralysis, "He who has a "why" to live can bear with almost any "how"." -Nietzche "WARNING" PG-13 due to Sarcasm & WAY too much attitude, interact at your own risk.
KP5 Offline

So true Eric. You are rockin' it Deb. I KNOW exactly what you are going through! You really are doing a good job.
How was the fever tonight? He ISN'T getting the Neulasta, right?
Did you get the outside time today!! It was beautiful here, but quite cold. We actually had snow on the ground this am. Yuck!
Hope you're having a good night.
Kathy

Kathy wife/caregiver to:
Kevin age:53
Dx 7/15/11
HPV16+ SCC Stage IV BOT/R
Non smoker, casual drinker
7/27/11 Cistplatin, taxotere,5FU 2/3week sessions, followed by IMRT 125cgy x 60 (2x daily) w/Erbitux weekly. Last rad 10/26/11. Last Erbitux 10/27/11
PEG placed 9/1/11 Removed 11/8/11
Clear PET 10/12 and 10/13 and ct in 6/14
Page 5 of 15 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 14 15

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
amndcllns01, Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916