Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#137950 08-10-2011 12:28 PM
Contributing Member (25+ posts)
OP Offline
Contributing Member (25+ posts)

I had a PET scan this afternoon. It was fine until they brought in my radiation mask to do a scan with the mask on. I was hyperventilating the entire time, and my back hurt so much from laying on that flat table for nearly a half an hour. When they released me from my trap, I ran to the bathroom and dry heaved and bawled. This is going to be the longest 7 weeks in the history of the world. Please tell me it gets better....

Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

Kellijojo - I'm so sorry you had such a rough time! There are things you can do about this and you should really talk to the doctor about how you are feeling. He/she might recommend something that would help you be a little calmer. My son brought his own CD for them to play while he was tied down with the mask on. Form some, listening to music helps to be able to tell how much longer you have. Or maybe they would play an audio book while the Tx is going on. If you have something else to concentrate on it does help. I'm sure others here will have some good ideas for you. My son told me that it did get easier as time went on.

Anne-Marie
CG to son, Paul (age 33, non-smoker) SCC Stage 2, Surgery 9/21/06, 1/6 tongue Rt.side removed, +48 lymph nodes neck. IMRTx28 completed 12/19/06. CT scan 7/8/10 Cancer-free! ("spot" on lung from scar tissue related to Pneumonia.)

Senior Member (100+ posts)

Panic or anxiety attacks are not mental they are a physical response to stress. I would say you have enough to qualify. Once I realized that I wasn't just being a wimp and that they could assist me medically it became less fearful. It didn't stop them but I knew when I was prone to having one I could take the prescribed med to prevent it. If I had one unexpected the meds worked in 20 minutes and I knew I could hang on. There is no reason to suffer in silence you don't get any awards for it so please get with you doctors and let them know what is going on. This is all hard enough without using whatever we can to get through it.

55 12/17/09 High Grade Muceopidermoid Carcinoma Alerted by Largo my Mini Schnauzer
1/18/10 Clr PET
1/27/10 Surgery found Perineural invasion
3/22/10 Began Rad
05/05/10 34 rads
8/19/10 Clr Pet Scan
12/13/10 Clr Ultra sound/biopsy
5/4/11 MRI Clear
8/2/11 All Clear
5/25/12 All Clear
6/3/2016 All Clear
Gold Member (200+ posts)
Gold Member (200+ posts)

I agree with everything said above. Tell your doctor how you're feeling and let them help you. I'm in the middle of week four now and I have gotten pretty used to the mask at this point. It will get better but there is no need for you to suffer in the meantime. I was very stressed and scared for my first treatment. Once I saw that it didn't hurt and it didn't last very long, I felt better. The tech give me a little bell to hold so that if I have a problem I can ring it and they will come right away. I've never had to use it, but it calms me to know it's there.

Tracy - 33 at diagnosis
SCC right ventral tongue Dx 4/11.
T1N2M0
1st resection 5/11.
Bilateral neck dissection: 2 pos nodes
2nd resection w/graft 6/11.
Erbitux x 11 completed 9/11. IMRT x 30 completed 8/11.
3 month MRI and PET/CT all clear.
6, 9, 12 and 24 month post treatment MRIs all clear.

I was also a little panic stricken the first few times. It felt very claustrophobic, and with the swallowing coughing and breathing issues.... yea... made me nervous. But it gets easier. Hang in there.

Dx: 3/11 Stage III glottic laryngeal SCC HPV 16+ Tx Start: 7/18/11 chemoradiation 7wks - Tomotherapy IMRT x 34 / Cisplatin x 7 Tx End:9/1/11]-[as of 1/20/12 - ALL CLEAR!]

Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)

Kellijojo!!

You are in luck! Your state actually has a medical marijuana law! Yeehaw! Get your Dr to give you a script (demand one if they have issues with it), go buy a vaporizor and hit that ganj right before you have to go in for rads. You'll see your anxiety and fear turn into giggles and the need for Cheetos.

To share a quick story with you. Before cancer I never did drugs other then alcohol (and not that until after I was 21), ever. When I had my first appt with my ENT my mom had went with me and asked him if I could get MJ and I shot that down to my preconcieved notions on that drug.

When going to radiation the gentleman that went in right after me would be there waiting and he was a wreck. He wasn't dealing with the mask well at all (I had no issues with it) but he was so bad he would cry and his wife was there comforting him. It was sad as he was very distraught.

After the my third week I noticed he was there waiting with his wife, laughing and eating snacks and it perplexed me...so I started a conversation. He was from WA state (right across the river from where we were getting rads) and his Dr had given him a script for MJ. He said that he felt fine was in a great mood and was actually hungry. Myself, I wasn't fairing so well after my second round of chemo and really wished my state had medical MJ as I would've loved some Cheetos at that point.

Anyway just my 2cents worth...or dime bag lol

Good luck to you, keep your chin up

Eric

Young Frack, SCC T4N2M0, Cisplatin,35+ rads,ND, RT Mandiblectomy w fibular free flap, facial paralysis, "He who has a "why" to live can bear with almost any "how"." -Nietzche "WARNING" PG-13 due to Sarcasm & WAY too much attitude, interact at your own risk.
Senior Patient Advocate
Senior Patient Advocate

Kelli,

It's very normal to feel trapped as you put it. I'm sure we all had those heart throbs our first time, I know I did. But by the next time they clamped me down I had time to think about it and was prepared for it and even though it wasn't pleasant I got through it. Music helped as I kept it loud to very very loud. You can as others suggest take a relaxant but if you don't like taking pills perhaps give it another try first.

David

Age 58 at Dx, HPV16+ SCC, Stage IV BOT+2 nodes, non smoker, casual drinker, exercise nut, Cisplatin x 3 & concurrent IMRT x 35,(70 Gy), no surgery, no Peg, Tx at Moffitt over Aug 06. Jun 07, back to riding my bike 100 miles a wk. Now doing 12 Spin classes and 60 outdoor miles per wk. Nov 13 completed Hilly Century ride for Cancer, 104 miles, 1st Place in my age group. Apr 2014 & 15, Spun for 9 straight hrs to raise $$ for YMCA's Livestrong Program. Certified Spin Instructor Jun 2014.
"OCF Canuck"
"OCF Canuck"

Hey here - sorry you had a rough time of it! but I think you were expecting that - hugs my friend - the advice given here is good the dr can prescribe something for you - take if - everyone is different - everyone handles this differently!! And just remember each and every treatment is working fir you against the cancer -! Take care!

Cheryl : Irritation - 2004 BX: 6/2008 : Inflam. BX: 12/10, DX: 12/10 : SCC - LS tongue well dif. T2N1M0. 2/11 hemigloss + recon. : PND - 40 nodes - 39 clear. 3/11 - 5/11 IMRT 33 + cis x2, PEG 3/28/11 - 5/19/11 3 head, 2 chest scans - clear(fingers crossed) HPV-, No smoke, drink, or drugs, Vegan

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916, Megm37
13,103 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums23