Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
cs-scc Offline OP
Supporting Member (50+ posts)
OP Offline

Good day! I need help with taking medication without throwing up. I have finished 22 rad (13 more to go, yeah!)and 2 chemo (cisplatin) sessions. Just today, I seem to have started trouble swallowing medication. I took an anti-nausea tablet earlier today, and immediately threw up (including the tablet itself). Earlier in the morning, I took a Vitamin tablet and same thing.

I do have a PEG and have heard that pills can be crushed and fed through the PEG. I am not sure exactly how I would stick powder through the tube. If someone has done this before, I'd appreciate any pointers. Or maybe there are other suggestions.

While the anti-nausea pills can be crushed, there are some pills (capsules) that cannot not be crushed. Primarily stool softeners and laxatives. Any suggestions in this regard would be great. Maybe I can switch to liquid if available? Any brand names welcome.

I also read that while most pills can be crushed, some that are the slow release kind (e.g. Blood Pressure medication which I do take) must not be crushed. If this is the case, I am curious how I would go about taking such medication.

Appreciate any guidance. Thanks in advance.

Best Regards,
Chetan

Chetan
SCC, lateral tongue, age 53, Tongue resection & neck dissection 5/6/11; T1N2BM0, RTX (35 sessions starting 6/8/11)/chemo (3x starting 6/10/11) Last cisplatin 7/22. RTX complete 7/27. PEG in 6/9/11, out 8/31/11
"OCF Canuck"
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
"OCF Canuck"

Hey there -congrats in being a third of the way through!!! With regards to the medication - if the dr. Is not available to you call your pharmacist. The would know what kind of meds you are on and whether they can be crushed! If they can be - the best way to administer them is by crushing them ,mix them with warm water - once it's thoroughly dissolved suck it up with your syringe (the kind you use to flush the peg - put it into the line and then flush it with more water - slowly - i would use at least ine full syringe to flush possible two. are you vomiting because you are gagging on them? If so this will work - if you are vomiting because you are nauseated from chemo it may come back up again but its worth a try!! Also Monday ask for any meds you need in liquid or patch form. If possible. Good luck and sorry your suffering through this take care!

Cheryl : Irritation - 2004 BX: 6/2008 : Inflam. BX: 12/10, DX: 12/10 : SCC - LS tongue well dif. T2N1M0. 2/11 hemigloss + recon. : PND - 40 nodes - 39 clear. 3/11 - 5/11 IMRT 33 + cis x2, PEG 3/28/11 - 5/19/11 3 head, 2 chest scans - clear(fingers crossed) HPV-, No smoke, drink, or drugs, Vegan
klo Offline
"OCF Down Under"
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)
"OCF Down Under"
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)

Hi Chetan

As Cheryl suggests, you need to talk to your pharmacist or doctor about this as some medications can be crushed and some cannot. They will be able to switch your meds around to patches, liquids or crushable.

However, I want to share how Alex coped. Alex suffered nausea for months after chemoradiation and threw up no matter how we administered the pills. He found that the worst time was first thing in the morning for some reason. We also found that if he took his anti-nausea med, Maxalon, before getting out of bed, (sit up to take it but lie down immediately after), waited half an hour or so and then got out of bed, had a cup of coffee to test the state of his stomach, and then took his other meds, it was easier for him. Also, we switched time of day for taking the once daily meds to night time.

Crushing tablets (the ones your doctors tell you can be crushed) can be done between 2 big spoons and then administered as Cheryl suggests. Alex's pills didn't dissolve so we swilled them around in half a cup of water and then sucked the mix into a syringe before it had a chance to settle. Then flushed with another syringe of water, also swilled around the cup to pick up any bits we had missed.

Karen
Love of Life to Alex T4N2M0 SCC Tonsil, BOT, R lymph nodes
Dx March 2010 51yrs. Unresectable. HPV+ve
Tx Chemo x 3+1 cycles(cisplatin,docetaxel,5FU)- complete May 31
Chemoradiation (IMRTx35 + weekly cisplatin)
Finish Aug 27
Return to work 2 years on
3 years out Aug 27 2013 NED smile
Still underweight
Platinum Member (300+ posts)
Platinum Member (300+ posts)

We also bought a pill cutter and that helped with some of the meds. I also started taking liquid vitamins which I mixed with Ensure and had it put down my tube.

Female, nonsmoker, 70, diag. 5/09 after tongue biopsy: stage IV. Left hemi-gloss. and left selec. neck disec. 30 lymph nodes removed May 20. Over 7 weeks daily rads. with three chemo. PEG removed 12/4/09 Am eating mostly soft foods. Back to work 11/09 Retired 4/1/11. 7 clear scans! Port out 9/11. 2/13. It's back: base of tongue, very invasive
surgery involving lifestyle changes. 2/14: Now speaking w/Passey-Muir valve. Considering a swallow study. Grateful to be alive.
Administrator, Director of Patient Support Services
Administrator, Director of Patient Support Services

If you have a Rite-Aid pharmacy ask the pharmacist for a pill crusher. It works great!!!! Any other pharmacy should have it too but I know for sure Rite-Aid carrys them since thats where I got mine. You need to check with your doctor about what pills you can crush. Never ever crush medicine that is time release. After you crush the meds put it in a tiny medicine cup with some warm water. Wait a few minutes and take a syringe and suck up the liquid and put it in your tube. Make sure you flush it with at least 40 cc of water. Also, wait at least 30 minutes after you take meds to do your feedings. One more thing is to ask your doc about medication interactions. Ex. cold meds and pain meds shouldnt be taken at the same time, the cold medication could lessen the capabilities of the pain meds.

Good luck!!!!

Christine
SCC 6/15/07 L chk & by L molar both Stag I, age44
2x cispltn-35 IMRT end 9/27/07
-65 lbs in 2 mo, no caregvr
Clear PET 1/08
4/4/08 recur L chk Stag I
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
8/24/09 trach, ND, mandiblctmy
3wks medicly inducd coma
2 mo xtended hospital stay, ICU & burn unit
PICC line IV antibx 8 mo
10/4/10, 2/14/11 reconst surg
OC 3x in 3 years
very happy to be alive smile
cs-scc Offline OP
OP Offline

Hello All,

Thanks so much for the wonderful tips. I bought a pill crusher from Rite Aid and it is working great through my PEG. I think I was vomiting because I was gagging, but it is hard to tell because every now and then I still feel nauseous even though it is two weeks after chemo. Maybe it is the radiation too that can cause the nausea/vomiting?

Best Regards,
Chetan

Chetan
SCC, lateral tongue, age 53, Tongue resection & neck dissection 5/6/11; T1N2BM0, RTX (35 sessions starting 6/8/11)/chemo (3x starting 6/10/11) Last cisplatin 7/22. RTX complete 7/27. PEG in 6/9/11, out 8/31/11

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916, Megm37
13,103 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums23