Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Supporting Member (50+ posts)
Supporting Member (50+ posts)

1. probably Google....doing a search for info after I got "the" news.
2. Not as much as I used to, couple of times a month to see whats going on.
3. Yes, and no.

Stage 4b BOT and node on right of throat. did 38 trips of TOMO PEG tube,Cysplatin,Taxotere & 5fu 1st 4th and 7th week, changed to Erbitux for the last 4 weeks. 1st PETS since end of TX..CLEAR 6mos out and 2 nodes are hot. Bilateral neck dissection on 10/31/08. Clear Scan 3/31/09 & 8/02/2010
Gold Member (200+ posts)
Gold Member (200+ posts)

1. Google
2. A bunch when first diagnosed, occasionally now
3. yes, no

Tracy - 33 at diagnosis
SCC right ventral tongue Dx 4/11.
T1N2M0
1st resection 5/11.
Bilateral neck dissection: 2 pos nodes
2nd resection w/graft 6/11.
Erbitux x 11 completed 9/11. IMRT x 30 completed 8/11.
3 month MRI and PET/CT all clear.
6, 9, 12 and 24 month post treatment MRIs all clear.
Platinum Member (300+ posts)

I Googled Tongue Cancer.
First place I come to in the morning last place at night.
If someone asks about Tongue Cancer I give an opinion.
Yes, No.

SCC. of the left lateral tongue, anterior two thirds, T1 possibly a T2.
Left partial glossectomy, left selective neck dissection 4/21/09. Nodes clean, No Rad, No Chemo.

CT Scan 9/11 clean, CT Scan 9/12 clean

Moffitt Cancer Center in Tampa, FL. A+.

My hometown Lockport, NY.

Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
OP Offline

DavidCPA: I love you like a brother but c'mon this is the 21st Century. "Meat World" is the world outside the internet
Meat world - Urban dictionary

It is a synonym for the internet acronym IRL - In the Real world. I'm a big Science fiction fan and in the cyberpunk subgenre, meat world is used dismissively by Artifical Intelligences to describe what we call IRL.

But credit for an excellent guess - and I won't even make a snide remark about the Freudian implications of you proposing a homophone [ a word that is spelled differently but sounds the same Homophone wiki

Do you try and correct your wife too? I thought we had agreed that in both cases, one is always better off humoring us both.

Whew, I feel better now. I've have been so empathic and nice in my recent posts that I just had to be snarky with someone who can take a joke.
You are the best DavidCPA
Charm

65 yr Old Frack
Stage IV BOT T3N2M0 HPV 16+
2007:72GY IMRT(40) 8 ERBITUX No PEG
2008:CANCER BACK Salvage Surgery
25GY-CyberKnife(5) 3 Carboplatin
Apaghia /G button
2012: CANCER BACK -left tonsilar fossa
40GY-CyberKnife(5) 3 Carboplatin

Passed away 4-29-13

Well, I'm sure glad that Davidcpa enlightened us. I was wondering about what "Meat groups were - I thought maybe this was some new "young people" term that I had not caught up with yet. Now on to the topic at hand:

1) I didn't find out about OCF until my son had already started Rad Tx when a delightful young man also going thru Rad in the waiting room started talking to my son and me and told us about OCF. (I really think waiting rooms everywhere should have OCF pamphlets)

2) At present time, two or three times per day, mainly to:
A) offer whatever help or encouragement I can based on my experience as a caregiver.
B) Get the best and latest research information.
C) Laugh and let a smile bubble up inside of me when one of the "old timers" allows us to see the funny side of things.

2a) When my son was in the throes of Radiation and surviving SCC, I was on this site almost constantly every single day! It was what kept me going and kept my son surviving.

3) I don't have a "Meet World" group, just this Virtual Group and neither my son nor I had a Meet World group when he was in treatment (almost 5 years ago). Although there were opportunities at the hospital because we saw little signs advertising "real people" groups like "Laughter Therapy" and I tried really hard to get my son to go but he just didn't feel like laughing and I couldn't go and laugh without him. Translation of the preceding: YES, NO (Sorry, my right brain likes to give details).

Anne-Marie
CG to son, Paul (age 33, non-smoker) SCC Stage 2, Surgery 9/21/06, 1/6 tongue Rt.side removed, +48 lymph nodes neck. IMRTx28 completed 12/19/06. CT scan 7/8/10 Cancer-free! ("spot" on lung from scar tissue related to Pneumonia.)

"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)

1.Through J from a OC survivor with whom J's ENT put him in contact.

2. When looking for current or past news items. It is pre-sifted by Brian for relevance and accuracy. Every week or so. But, on the forum usually once a day. To check on folks--see how things are going for everyone. Helps me prepare/understand/know more.

3. Yes, No

ps. I got (and liked) the reference immediately. Good analysis and advice from Charm, as always. @ Charm: I've noticed your posts and was wondering what was up. I was starting to worry. I'm so glad you are back! Like Billy Joel would say, "Don't go changin'...". smile

Last edited by Sandy177; 06-28-2011 08:51 PM. Reason: spelling

Ex-spouse MISDIAGNOSED with SCC-HN IVa 12/10. Tonsils out 1/11. 4 teeth out 2/11. TX Erbitux x2, IMRT x2 2/11. 2nd opinion-benign BCC-NOT CANCER 3/11. TX stopped 3/11. New doctors 4/11. ENT agrees with 2nd opinion 5/11. ENT scoped him-all clear 7/11. Ordered MRI anyway. MRI 8/22/11 Result-all clear.

I also googled oral cancer and found you. I wish I had found this site when I was being treated, but it was after I had already gone back to work. I usually check it out several times a week, and more often, now that I have retired from my job. This is my only cancer support group, but I frequently talk with another oral cancer patient who was diagnosed a couple of months after I was. I reccomended this site to her, but not certain if she has checked it out.

Female, nonsmoker, 70, diag. 5/09 after tongue biopsy: stage IV. Left hemi-gloss. and left selec. neck disec. 30 lymph nodes removed May 20. Over 7 weeks daily rads. with three chemo. PEG removed 12/4/09 Am eating mostly soft foods. Back to work 11/09 Retired 4/1/11. 7 clear scans! Port out 9/11. 2/13. It's back: base of tongue, very invasive
surgery involving lifestyle changes. 2/14: Now speaking w/Passey-Muir valve. Considering a swallow study. Grateful to be alive.
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)

Google about 11 months after diagnoses

Often, news , current info check facts etc...it originally gave me my education

Yes, no...but I've been helping local cancer patients through their journeys, I seem to be the "cancer" guy in my little world so I get hit up for information all the time.

Last edited by EricS; 06-28-2011 07:21 PM.

Young Frack, SCC T4N2M0, Cisplatin,35+ rads,ND, RT Mandiblectomy w fibular free flap, facial paralysis, "He who has a "why" to live can bear with almost any "how"." -Nietzche "WARNING" PG-13 due to Sarcasm & WAY too much attitude, interact at your own risk.
OCF Founder
OCF Founder

Since the comment about literature in treatment facilities came up.

We have posted here many times asking for people, when making a trip to their treatment centers, to hand carry post cards we have with info on the back about how to find the forum for support and leave them with the check desk in radiation and in particular with the social services staff. [email protected] will send them to anyone who offers to help, and sends them in lots of hundred or more.

If we just mail them to an unknown person in the H&N department, they likely end up in the mail room round file. So here is the ask again. Help those behind you to find us. email Jamie. She'll send a freebee along with your request most of the time�..

Some like Malka even after the end of treatments, have turned this into an every quarter go back to her facility pilgrimage, and it has made a difference. Little effort - HUGE impact on another person.

Brian, stage 4 oral cancer survivor. OCF Founder and Director. The first responsibility of a leader is to define reality. The last is to say thank you. In between, the leader is a servant.
"OCF Down Under"
"OCF Down Under"

Good thread and thanks for my name in print Karen (klo) wink
One of the first to befriend me were fellow Aussies aussieh (Helen) and Tizz (Meredith) and we have met up on a few occasions and hopefully will do for years to come.
Unfortunately I am one of those who found this site too late (via Google) to ask the questions re my treatment so I went in to that blind which may not have been a bad thing in hind sight and 4 � years later.
Due to the �so many hours in the day� (may have more next week after being made redundant from my job of 33 years) I try help the Aussies even emailing those that register but have not posted as yet to encourage them to post.
That does not mean that I do not follow so many of my friends in the US, UK and Canada. (e.g. see every post from ChristineB)
Brian,
How can we get those post cards you mention in other countries other than the US? I am still going to my 6 month visits to my local CCC in Sydney?
Gabriele

History Leukoplakia bx 8/2006 SCC floor mouth T3N0M0- Verrucous Carcinoma.
14 hour 0p SCC-Right ND/excision/marginal mandibulectomy 9/2006, 4 teeth removed, flap from wrist, trach-ng 6 days- no chemo/rad.
6 ops and debulking (flap/tongue join) + bx's 2006-2012.
bx Jan 2012 Hyperkeratosis-Epithelial Dysplasia
24cm GIST tumour removed 8/2013. Indefinite Oral Chemo.

1/31/16 passed away peacefully surrounded by family

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916, Megm37
13,103 Registered Users