Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#13504 09-11-2002 07:19 PM
OP Offline

Hello I am new to this forum as well as a newly diognosed cancer patient. I underwent the removel of my left toncel Monday, the surgen was also going to remove two Lymphnodes and a suliva gland, but he was un able to remove the whole tumer when he removed my tonsil. He decided that he would allow the radiation to do the rest of the job instead of carving me up. I guess I am just lost with the whole thing. I know that it was caught early and my chances are good for a recovery, but there are so many conflicting articles and the information I have so far has me a little lost. I would appreaceate any advice or reading materials that you have found helpfull. Thanks for you help.

God Bless you in your journey

Dave

#13505 09-13-2002 04:49 AM

Hi Dave,

My name is Connie and I had squamous cell on the left side of my tongue. I had surgery in July of 2000. As you stated the Dr. did not feel that he was successful in getting the whole tumor, the cells were so close to the margin that he opt to go for radiation as an"insurance" as he called it.
I'm not sure about your radiation treatment as far as ca of the tonsils go, but my radiation was directed at my tongue and lymp nodes. They made a mask for my face and used markings to direct the radiation. The radiation is painless and only takes about 10 mins. however it takes a few mins. for them to make sure their markings are correct, etc. About two weeks after starting the radiation I lost my taste, everything tasted so very very bad. IT IS EXTREMELY IMPORTANT TO MAKE SURE YOU ARE GETTING GOOD NUTRITION IF THIS HAPPENS TO YOU. I did ensure, carnation breakfast drink, boost, and some of the soy products. I could not believe how bad everything tasted. My mouth got very sore, I was pretty tired and fought depression but made it. I was 61 years old and did not miss a day of work. They tried a drug on me, IV wise to help save the good cells and my siliva glands, however I could not take it. I had 37 radiation treatments. It took about two months to get my taste back, still not real good but good enought that I have gained 30 of the 60 pounds I lost back. I wish I had this site when I was going through it all.
Keep posting your thoughts and fears and I know someone on this site will respond. God Bless You and Best of luck. Be sure you continue to get nourishment-- the radiation is killing your cells and you need to help your body restore the good cells. Connie

consue
#13506 09-13-2002 07:33 AM
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hello Dave,

So glad you found this site...some of us didn't until after we had finished surgery and radiation. It's is a scary place because we and the articles pretty much tell it like it is. But I prefer that to my doctors that would just say "oh yes, that happens sometimes" after I mention a side effect of radiation. Or the "be thankful it could be worse" attitude.

I also had SCC of the left tonsil but they did the radical neck dissection to find the cancer site. The large tumor had already been found and removed. Numerous lymph nodes were taken in the surgery and 3 were found to have tunors. But we feel sure that radiation killed all the little suckers that may have been left.

I'm sure with CT scans and xrays your doctors will stay on top of whether the radiation is shrinking the tumor he didn't remove. If they don't feel it does then that is a question for you to ask? I always had my husband with me on appointments and a list of questions. Write them down and sit in the doctors office until he answers.

A lot of my treatment I was in a daze and didn't ask a lot of questions, and I wish I would have. That's why this site is so helpful.

They will try and manage any radiation side effects as you have them, but as was stated earlier the big concern will be weight loss. It will be a struggle, but it is important for you to maintain your weight. If they feel you can they won't use a feeding tube, but if you start dropping weight they will.

Please also go to the dental section of this site and do not let them start radiation until you have taken care of your teeth. A good radiation oncologist or ENT should send you to the dentist/ oral surgeon before radiation.

I wish you luck and please use the people on this board as a sounding board for you thoughts and fears.

Take care,
Dinah

#13507 09-14-2002 06:36 PM
OP Offline

Thanks guys for your responce I am trying to keep up the sperits and I have been trying to eat well, but the surgery has taken its tool on that. I have been having a lot of trouble swollowing, and just haven't felt up to eating. I have pushed myself though and will continue. I have gotten to the dentest and receved the material for the floride treatments to do at home. I also was told by the Dr that the feeding tube is something they now do automaticly. I meet with him on Tuesday and I guess I begin my new journey as soon as they can start. Thank you for you responces It is noce to know I am not the only one out there. God bless you in your journey.

Dave laugh laugh laugh

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916, Megm37
13,103 Registered Users
Forum Statistics