Hi Dave,

My name is Connie and I had squamous cell on the left side of my tongue. I had surgery in July of 2000. As you stated the Dr. did not feel that he was successful in getting the whole tumor, the cells were so close to the margin that he opt to go for radiation as an"insurance" as he called it.
I'm not sure about your radiation treatment as far as ca of the tonsils go, but my radiation was directed at my tongue and lymp nodes. They made a mask for my face and used markings to direct the radiation. The radiation is painless and only takes about 10 mins. however it takes a few mins. for them to make sure their markings are correct, etc. About two weeks after starting the radiation I lost my taste, everything tasted so very very bad. IT IS EXTREMELY IMPORTANT TO MAKE SURE YOU ARE GETTING GOOD NUTRITION IF THIS HAPPENS TO YOU. I did ensure, carnation breakfast drink, boost, and some of the soy products. I could not believe how bad everything tasted. My mouth got very sore, I was pretty tired and fought depression but made it. I was 61 years old and did not miss a day of work. They tried a drug on me, IV wise to help save the good cells and my siliva glands, however I could not take it. I had 37 radiation treatments. It took about two months to get my taste back, still not real good but good enought that I have gained 30 of the 60 pounds I lost back. I wish I had this site when I was going through it all.
Keep posting your thoughts and fears and I know someone on this site will respond. God Bless You and Best of luck. Be sure you continue to get nourishment-- the radiation is killing your cells and you need to help your body restore the good cells. Connie

consue