Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
daddygirl1 #131276 03-14-2011 01:38 PM
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

Wanda - It sounds like things have not gotten much better, and maybe have worsened with your Dad's condition. I'm sure it's a very sad situation for your whole family. When you originally posted on Feb 17th, you asked for suggestions and you did receive some very good ones. But you also said recently you've been "doing ALL this for FIVE years". And it leaves me wondering if you or someone in your family have done them recently since you first posted? - specifically those suggestions from:
Davidcpa - Calling 9ll for a paramedic to take a look and get him to a hospital
Christine - Take him to a Cancer Center
David 2 - Offer to call your Dad personally to convince him to see a doctor,
- or call a doctor from the area to get him a prescription for pain.
Regarding the chlorine smell, it sounds like it needs a doctor to diagnose what it could be, and I don't know if a doctor could diagnose that without seeing the patient. Maybe if someone close by in the family could call the family doctor and tell him about the smell and what's been happening with your Dad, you may get some help for him. Do you think someone could do that? I sure hope so. Not knowing I think has got to be the worse, because once you have a diagnosis, then you can go into "fight mode" and start doing something to help make things better.

If you have already done all of the above, then - even if it is your Dad's time to pass on, you will feel a lot better about accepting whatever happens. When my Mom died, she was a great distance away and I wasn't able to be with her, but I can tell you that the guilt I felt afterwards for not being there to help, stayed with me for a long time. I sure am hoping for some better days ahead for you and your Dad and the whole family.

Anne-Marie
CG to son, Paul (age 33, non-smoker) SCC Stage 2, Surgery 9/21/06, 1/6 tongue Rt.side removed, +48 lymph nodes neck. IMRTx28 completed 12/19/06. CT scan 7/8/10 Cancer-free! ("spot" on lung from scar tissue related to Pneumonia.)

Anne-Marie #131518 03-17-2011 06:43 PM
OP Offline

Thanks Anne-Marie.....yes my brother who was just there suggested he go or he would go for him just to speak to a Dr or get pain meds for him and he got very angry....so we have all just decided that this is the way he wants it to go...my brother spoke of guilt and I refuse to feel guilty ...I have tried my best and have butted my head against a wall...I even bought them a house down here in my area where I could better take care of them both...this has been 2 years and he refuses to live here so I am stuck with the house but have been renting it out.....I will try to go and see him soon...I am resolved to him dying without medical care...unfortunately! He has bad and good days...I talk to him every day....he seemed chipper today but had a bad day yesterday...I guess this is the way it will go until he passes....was reading some of the other posts on odor and someone said it was the odor of dying flesh and that is why it is turning into water...so sad...thank you for your post!
Wanda

daddygirl1 #131788 03-21-2011 11:53 PM
Gold Member (200+ posts)
Gold Member (200+ posts)

so very sorry to hear about your father. I wish there was some way you could do something, but I know how stubborn people can be. Fortunately for me, when i was being stubborn during radiation, my boyfriend was big enough to just pick me up and drag me there. I was so darn mad at him and crying the whole way there and back and pretty upset for a few days, but shortly after i was happy he did it.
I know foul smell comes with infection and rotting/necrotic(dying) flesh, not sure about cancer, as mine was on my tongue, and i never smelled anything foul.
I sure hope that this is all over soon for him as he is refusing any medical help. It's not fair for you all to have to watch this, and I wish there was a way of just calling 911 and them making him go in, or maybe getting a doc to do a house call and having several family members there to hold him down, or what not, but sadly, that's not an option.
I know there was a story quite some time ago about a family who's son was diagnosed and cuz of their beliefs he wasn't going to go through with treatment, but because he was a child, the state could force him to, and his mother and the child were arrested and brought back for treatment when they fled the state, but unfortunately that can't be done with everyone!

I hope that the suffering will be over soon for everyone in your family and your father. There isn't really any way for any of us on here really to say how much longer he has or what it really is that is going on with him, his emotional and physical symptoms can be caused from many things, and aren't always tied in with the dying process.
I am a cna and have been for almost 3 years now and before that worked in group homes since 03, and have lots of experience helping people that were actively dieing, and no two people go through all the same issues when dying, so it's very tough to say how much longer you have with him. I guess just try to make the best of what time you do have with him, and when he does pass remember the good memories!

25/female at diagnosis
Dx;stage 3 SCC tongue 03/25/2010
Surgery 04/13/2010
Trach,ng tube, peg feeding tube
Hemiglossectomy, right side neck dissection, 40 lymph nodes removed. Free-Flap transplant to tongue.
30 rounds IMRT ended July 15,2010
bethers0808 #131802 03-22-2011 10:10 AM
OP Offline

Thank you for your post....his health seems to be getting worse very quickly ..my mother told me he is forgetting how to do things now....I hope to go see him for a few days soon...yes sad to say I hope this all ends soon! it is so hard on my mother too as she has no help at all and she is 86! I appreciated your post and sharing your experience!

daddygirl1 #132618 04-07-2011 02:22 PM
OP Offline

It was the most horrifying thing to see him....I went 2 weeks ago....he hardly got out of the bed....and there is a faraway look in his eyes...he talked some...but the cancer had eaten all the way down to the end of his chin so talking was hard...and eating ...well let's just say I didnt do much eating in my 2 days there.....he seems to go up and down in his health....he hardly got out of bed when we were there but his sister came to visit and he stayed up the whole day...I have a friend that is a nurse and she advised me that he probably has sepsis since the wound is exposed ...the smell was atrocious....and fluid just pours out of the hole in his face....with blood tinge...what a nightmare.....any thoughts from anyone on the sepsis thing? thanks for any advise.....my thoughts to all.....

daddygirl1 #132648 04-07-2011 08:15 PM
"OCF Canuck"
"OCF Canuck"

Sepsis is a blood infection and it will kill him... Now that he's kind of out of it try to call an ambulance.

Cheryl : Irritation - 2004 BX: 6/2008 : Inflam. BX: 12/10, DX: 12/10 : SCC - LS tongue well dif. T2N1M0. 2/11 hemigloss + recon. : PND - 40 nodes - 39 clear. 3/11 - 5/11 IMRT 33 + cis x2, PEG 3/28/11 - 5/19/11 3 head, 2 chest scans - clear(fingers crossed) HPV-, No smoke, drink, or drugs, Vegan
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
amndlors01, Kval, iMarc845, amndcllns01, Jina
13,107 Registered Users
Forum Statistics