Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
"OCF Down Under"
Senior Member (100+ posts)
OP Offline
"OCF Down Under"

Hi there again!

Just wanting to know your opinions on this. I was on Aptivan (lorezapam) and finished the packet last thurs. Fri & Sat - I got NO sleep, since then I've been taking Temazapam and managing about 4 hrs a night. Needless to say I'm going insane!! My energy has completely dropped and I feel like the first few weeks after chemo. I only used one packet! Is my body having withdrawal symptoms?? What should I do? I want to sleep but is even more scared of the addictivenes of these medications. Should I just relax and take it until my body has recovered? I'm going crazy from the lack of sleep on top of everything else!! Would value any opinions and advice. Please help!!

Last edited by minniemoo066; 10-27-2010 09:42 AM.

35 Yrs old
03/10 SCC T1-T2
Partial Glossectemy end March - margins not clear enough.
While waiting for resection - cancer returned,2 new cancerous lumps
Re-section End May & flap from cheek attatched. Margins clear.
Mid June - 4 teeth out
Mid July -32 Rads and 3 Cisplatin
6th Sept 10 Finished Treatment!!
"OCF Down Under"
OP Offline
"OCF Down Under"

It's now 1am, not sleepy. I did fall to by my self but only for half hour, now I'm wide awake. Feel even worse tonite than previous nights. I'm hot AND cold at the same time. I feel cold but I'm also sweating?? Have taken 2 panadols for the cold/sweat and one temazapam. I hope it works, I'm going crazy trying to sleep. What should I do?? Is it the Fetanyl patch? Ive reduced it to 25 from 50 around the same time the Aptivan finished.

Those if you who were on Aptivan, how did you wean yourself if it?? I'm really scared how my body is feeling. Before all this, I probably only took 2 panadols a year! Any opinions would be much appreciated. I feel like I've been asking so many questions lately but I'm pretty desperate on this topic.

Minh

Minh

35 Yrs old
03/10 SCC T1-T2
Mid June - 4 teeth out
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)

Minh,

The insomnia is caused by the opiate pain medication (fentanyl, oxy etc...) due to how those drugs work on the brain. So that's a likely cause of the insomnia...that and stress probably.

The sweats etc are more then likely withdrawel symptoms, from the reduction in dosage from the fentanyl (due to the danger of coming off fentanyl please work with you medical professionals to taper down!!) and maybe the lorazepam. Due to the fact you are on another benzo (benzodiazepine, the temazapam) it's unlikely that it's withdrawel from the lorazepam though..but stranger things have happened for sure.

The benzo's did little for me in the way of sleep. They are for "short term" insomnia only and I really don't think they are effective when used to treat insomnia brought on by the opiates. I was put on Ambien first, then Lunesta in conjuction with a benzo...even that was ineffective and cause episodes like sleep walking etc. I'd never take them again to be sure.

I'm not sure what the medical marijuana laws are like in Australia...but that's what I'd use for help sleeping. As long as you are on the pain meds, insomnia will likely be an issue..even for a while after you've stopped taking them. An FYI, both fentanyl and benzo's will cause fatigue/exhaustion.

keep your chin up, hope it helps

Eric

Young Frack, SCC T4N2M0, Cisplatin,35+ rads,ND, RT Mandiblectomy w fibular free flap, facial paralysis, "He who has a "why" to live can bear with almost any "how"." -Nietzche "WARNING" PG-13 due to Sarcasm & WAY too much attitude, interact at your own risk.
"OCF Down Under"
OP Offline
"OCF Down Under"

Thsnx Eric,
So basically I have to put up with the insomnia or go back on to Aptivan to get some rest? I'm even more scared to do the marijuana!! I'm chicken shit when it comes to drugs. Went to sleep around 2 am and now I'm up at 5 am. I have to look after two toddlers today (my baby and my niece). I'm a bit worried how I will cope. I think I will be ok, gosh lack if sleep just brings me down so much. It's torture! Wouldn't be so bad but I have the kids today. Eric, you are right about temazapam being short term help because when I take 2 I get 6 1/2 hrs, when I take 1 I get about 4 hrs but that's better than nothing!!!

Seems like the only solution for me is put up with it and go off them completely. How long do you think it will take before my body goes back to normal? Again no medics warn me about the dangers of these medication, I should have been smarter and do the research myself. I was pretty stupid/naive to just take everything they gave me without any knowledge about them. Wish I had been more proactive at the beginning.

Minh

35 Yrs old
03/10 SCC T1-T2
Mid June - 4 teeth out
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

Minh - I don't have any experience getting off sleep aids, but I do have sleep problems and can remember how it was when my children were little. If you can get the two toddlers to take naps at the same time, you should get some rest/sleep yourself. This is not the time to worry about dishes in the sink. Even a short "power nap" can help tremendously, If they don't take naps, just bring them in a room where you can lock the door - then spread towels near where you are sitting and give them a big jar of vaseline or skin lotion and let them spread this all over your feet and legs. This will be relaxing for you and will keep them busy. If the door doesn't lock, spread vaseline on the door knob. I tried an over-the-counter sleep aid and it only lasted 3-4 hours. So when I can't sleep I usually come here and see who else is up. Or I concentrate on something like my iphone scrabble, solitaire, reading, etc. Hope you start feeling better soon!

Anne-Marie
CG to son, Paul (age 33, non-smoker) SCC Stage 2, Surgery 9/21/06, 1/6 tongue Rt.side removed, +48 lymph nodes neck. IMRTx28 completed 12/19/06. CT scan 7/8/10 Cancer-free! ("spot" on lung from scar tissue related to Pneumonia.)

Minh,

as you are online, you have the most powerful research tool ever created in the internet at your fingertips, so use it. Drugs.com, Wikipedia, WebMD are all sources for drug information online, using one site to check the other's reliability. With that information you should be able to ask your medical professional questions and voice your concerns over what's being prescribed to you.

I do find it humorous that you have issues using marijuana but apparently are fine with taking benzo's and fentanyl. I would take the time to look up these medications and understand each. Fentanyl is the most powerful opiate available for humans...100x stronger then heroin. When I read up on Lorazepam, it scared the crap out of me.

Anyway, as far as how long it takes for your body to readjust after the pain meds, it'll be different for everyone. It took me about 6 weeks or so.

Young Frack, SCC T4N2M0, Cisplatin,35+ rads,ND, RT Mandiblectomy w fibular free flap, facial paralysis, "He who has a "why" to live can bear with almost any "how"." -Nietzche "WARNING" PG-13 due to Sarcasm & WAY too much attitude, interact at your own risk.
"OCF Down Under"
OP Offline
"OCF Down Under"

Well now that you put it like that Eric, it is rather funny isn't it? Been reading up on the drugs myself too. At least I know the reasons why Im feeling theway i do. Thanx for your replies guys, it got me to do some research on them. I'm just one of those people that keeps thinking docs knows what best for me since they are the "expert". I'm now much more proactive thanx to everyone on OCF.

Minh

35 Yrs old
03/10 SCC T1-T2
Mid June - 4 teeth out
"OCF Down Under"
OP Offline
"OCF Down Under"

Hey on a good note- I'm having a ham and cheese sandwich with loads of water to wash it down but at least I didnt have to pur�e it!!! Yay!!! Also been finding I have enough energy to look after two kids!! Think I'm doing pretty well for someone at my recovery stage!

Minh

35 Yrs old
03/10 SCC T1-T2
Mid June - 4 teeth out

That's great Minh! Great progress! Looking after two kids takes a lot of energy even when you are not recovering from treatment. I sometimes have a turkey sandwich or just a piece of turkey when I can't sleep. It has something in it (triptophan?) that encourages sleep. Glad you are feeling better.

Anne-Marie
CG to son, Paul (age 33, non-smoker) SCC Stage 2, Surgery 9/21/06, 1/6 tongue Rt.side removed, +48 lymph nodes neck. IMRTx28 completed 12/19/06. CT scan 7/8/10 Cancer-free! ("spot" on lung from scar tissue related to Pneumonia.)

klo Offline
"OCF Down Under"
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)
"OCF Down Under"
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)

Hi Minh and Anne-Marie

Tryptophan - really?

You know a great supply of tryptophan? CHOCOLATE!!!
Much easier to get from the corner shop in the middle of the night too smile

Karen
Love of Life to Alex T4N2M0 SCC Tonsil, BOT, R lymph nodes
Dx March 2010 51yrs. Unresectable. HPV+ve
Tx Chemo x 3+1 cycles(cisplatin,docetaxel,5FU)- complete May 31
Chemoradiation (IMRTx35 + weekly cisplatin)
Finish Aug 27
Return to work 2 years on
3 years out Aug 27 2013 NED smile
Still underweight
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Eva Grayzel 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260