Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#123006 10-12-2010 01:44 PM
ESikon Offline OP
Platinum Member (300+ posts)
OP Offline

This fatigue is kicking my butt!!! I thought everything was getting better as time went on but the past 2 months have really started to go south. It's a fatigue that sleep doesn't help with. I was hoping the thyroid medication was gonna help but nope..... I need a new body with energy!LOL

Dx 3/27/09 @ 28 years old with High Grade MEC T4N2M0
Elizabeth, 33, mother of 3 girls (4,7, &8yrs old)
3 rds of chemo(Carbo/Taxol)
Rt Mandibulectomy, rt fibular flap,& rt ND with trach, picc,& g-tube.
30 rds of rads with weekly cisplatin
SCANS ALL CLEAR!
OCF Regional Coordinator of San Antonio Walk
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

Elizabeth,
The thyroid dose they gave you is so low it may not be doing anything. How long have you been on it? If two months or more, I'd have it checked again and ask to have the dosage upped if you are not getting close to YOUR normal.

Take care,
Eileen

----------------------
Aug 1997 unknown primary, Stage III
mets to 1 lymph node in neck; rt ND, 36 XRT rad
Aug 2001 tiny tumor on larynx, Stage I total laryngectomy; left ND
June 5, 2010 dx early stage breast cancer
June 9, 2011 SCC 1.5 cm hypo pharynx, 70% P-16 positive, no mets, Stage I

Elizabeth:
Just catching up tonight and read your post. I'm living the same thing. I caught a great burst of energy and went about two years running at the speed of light! Then a few months back I began struggling to even get out of bed. I didn't feel "Bad" but just had no energy. Had blood work two weeks prior to seeing my PCP (5 weeks ago) and was called that same evening. She wanted me to begin a prescription that day for thyroid. Worried me and she said we would talk during my routine visit. The reading was almost non-existent. She told me radiation was probably catching up after a few years and that we may up the dose after another month (Heading into week 6 of meds at this point). I see my surgeon in two weeks to talk about it but hopefully I snap out of this soon. I sure hope you do as well. Great to hear your scans continue to be clear!!!
Steve

SCC right side BOT/FOM; DX 1-25-06; Neck dissection/25% of tongue removed 2-17-06. Stage 2 Recurrence 7-06: IMRTX35 & 3X Cisplatin ended 10-18-06. Tumor found 03/18/13; Partial Glossectomy 03/28/13 left lateral tongue. Nov. 2014; headaches,lump on left side of throat. Radical Neck Dissection 12-17-14; Tumor into nerves/jugular; Surgery successful, IMRTX30 & 7X Erbotux. Scan 06-03-15; NED! 06-02-16; Mets to left Humerus bone and lesion on lungs-here We go again! Never, Ever Give Up!

**** PASSED AWAY 10/8/16 ****

Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)

Elizabeth,

CRF (cancer related fatigue) is a real condition and can be experienced for years after treatment. Exercise can help, supplements..I use 5 hour energy myself. I've also heard of Adderall being used to help as well. Sadly most Dr's really don't know how to help. My GP keeps trying to tell me I'm depressed, but like most GP's practicing in a small town he's slightly retarded so I use him only when I need a script refilled and pass everything through my ENT or MO...even after I'm out of treatment I like to use my Dr's that deal with cancer everyday to get my advice from.

Hope you get some answers or help E.

Eric

Young Frack, SCC T4N2M0, Cisplatin,35+ rads,ND, RT Mandiblectomy w fibular free flap, facial paralysis, "He who has a "why" to live can bear with almost any "how"." -Nietzche "WARNING" PG-13 due to Sarcasm & WAY too much attitude, interact at your own risk.
Gold Member (200+ posts)
Gold Member (200+ posts)

Elizabeth, I'm not sure of it's cancer related, thyroid, depression,medications or something else. But given the way the health care system is these days you really have to advocate for yourself. Unfortunately, it may require going to several different doctors till you find the answer to what is causing the fatigue. And, of course when you are tired who feels like running around to all these different doctors.
As the mom of 4 kids,I know there were days when my kids were young that I thought exhaustion was a way of life. My kids are great but they take up a lot of energy. I hope you can get some breaks for yourself(I know that's tough) till you solve this.

Last edited by SusanW; 10-12-2010 08:58 PM.

CG to Spouse BOT, Chemo and radiation started on March 29,2010
Ended on May 14,2010. LET THE HEALING BEGIN!!!
Senior Patient Advocate
Senior Patient Advocate

"but like most GP's practicing in a small town he's slightly retarded" ...... funny Eric, I'll share that with my PCP from Gulfport, Fl, population 12,000.

David

Age 58 at Dx, HPV16+ SCC, Stage IV BOT+2 nodes, non smoker, casual drinker, exercise nut, Cisplatin x 3 & concurrent IMRT x 35,(70 Gy), no surgery, no Peg, Tx at Moffitt over Aug 06. Jun 07, back to riding my bike 100 miles a wk. Now doing 12 Spin classes and 60 outdoor miles per wk. Nov 13 completed Hilly Century ride for Cancer, 104 miles, 1st Place in my age group. Apr 2014 & 15, Spun for 9 straight hrs to raise $$ for YMCA's Livestrong Program. Certified Spin Instructor Jun 2014.
Administrator, Director of Patient Support Services
Administrator, Director of Patient Support Services

Hope you are feeling ok today, Elizabeth. Young children can wear you out quickly. I dont know how you have done it so far without having a helper. I raised 2 that are close in age, cant imagine how it is having 3 little ones.

I do the same as Eric regarding the PCP. My doc is very very good but I still go to my ENT for almost everything. My PCP is who told me in 2007 that he thought I had cancer. My ENT is who sends me to HBO, physical therapy, etc.

Hope you are doing well other than the fatigue.

Christine
SCC 6/15/07 L chk & by L molar both Stag I, age44
2x cispltn-35 IMRT end 9/27/07
-65 lbs in 2 mo, no caregvr
Clear PET 1/08
4/4/08 recur L chk Stag I
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
8/24/09 trach, ND, mandiblctmy
3wks medicly inducd coma
2 mo xtended hospital stay, ICU & burn unit
PICC line IV antibx 8 mo
10/4/10, 2/14/11 reconst surg
OC 3x in 3 years
very happy to be alive smile
"OCF Down Under"
Senior Member (100+ posts)
"OCF Down Under"

Elizabet,

i have only 1 girl (2 yrs old) and she wears me out!!! I still dont have enough energy to look after 24hrs a day and need help. I read your profile and admire your strength for going through this and looking after 3 girls!! YOu are an amazing woman!!

Minh

35 Yrs old
03/10 SCC T1-T2
Partial Glossectemy end March - margins not clear enough.
While waiting for resection - cancer returned,2 new cancerous lumps
Re-section End May & flap from cheek attatched. Margins clear.
Mid June - 4 teeth out
Mid July -32 Rads and 3 Cisplatin
6th Sept 10 Finished Treatment!!
ESikon Offline OP
OP Offline

Thanks everyone! I think I must have been having one of my "blue" days, I since had forgotten that I even posted this. I am still very tired but I guess that just comes with the territory.

@Eileen-I just completed my first month of thyroid meds and had my blood drawn last week, waiting on the results, I don't think it helped much but understand, I need to give it some time.

@Steve-I hope the thyroid meds help you get some energy back too. The hardest thing for me is trying to get my husband to understand that it's not a "need rest/nap" kind of tired, it's never ending fatigue.

@Eric-You always make me laugh! I too only use my dr for minor things and still double check with my MO. Even though I worked as an Oncology Nurse, I just treated them in a clinic, hanging chemo, never saw them after tx ended, so never heard of someone having CRF but no doubt it's a real deal! At least, I'm able to educate some fellow nurses.

@Susan-I do think alot of it is the fact that I am very active in being a taxi cab for my kids daily activities/functions!LOL I too am completely OCD when it comes to keeping my house tidy so that doesn't help. I use to have a nanny to help me out but let her go in Feb and had a housekeeper but also let her go in August. My husband thinks we need to bring the housekeeper back to give me a break but I just want to be the person I use to be, unfortunately I'm not.

@Christine-Thanks my friend, I am doing better!

@Minh-Thanks, you put a smile on my face! You just finished with txs so I completely understand where you are coming from. I remember the days when I use to watch them play or they would go fun places without me because I was too weak and tired. Please know that it does get better.

Dx 3/27/09 @ 28 years old with High Grade MEC T4N2M0
Elizabeth, 33, mother of 3 girls (4,7, &8yrs old)
3 rds of chemo(Carbo/Taxol)
Rt Mandibulectomy, rt fibular flap,& rt ND with trach, picc,& g-tube.
30 rds of rads with weekly cisplatin
SCANS ALL CLEAR!
OCF Regional Coordinator of San Antonio Walk
"OCF Down Under"
"OCF Down Under"

Thanx Elizabeth,

Everytime i read your signature i always wonder
"how does she do it???". You are my inspiration because alot of what i feel is do with the fact that i feel like i'm not spending enough time with my daughter and that she's growing up without me ie not being a good mother.
( and maybe wife too) I will get better because "life is wonderful when you have kids". Well its one of the reason anyways. lol. Glad to hear that you are feeling a bit better.

Minh

35 Yrs old
03/10 SCC T1-T2
Partial Glossectemy end March - margins not clear enough.
While waiting for resection - cancer returned,2 new cancerous lumps
Re-section End May & flap from cheek attatched. Margins clear.
Mid June - 4 teeth out
Mid July -32 Rads and 3 Cisplatin
6th Sept 10 Finished Treatment!!

Moderated by  Eva Grayzel 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members