Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#119209 07-09-2010 10:47 AM
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)
OP Offline

Well, where to start? Written this before and find myself back here....mom is smoking!!!! I am so upset, that is the only adjective I can think of that covers all my emotions. I asked my dad outright about two weeks ago....i saw her hoping up on the side of his van to pop the visor down, saw her handle something and then slide something in her pocket....went out, pulled visor down, sure enough it was a pack of cigarettes-lights-BFD!!!- went inside and cried. asked dad to be honest he said yes, but not a lot...i asked him if he knew that it would cause extreme issues...he said he "really don't think so ....and it calms her down..." take a valium or soemthing!! i told him i have shared so much info from all i have learned here...am i cruel to say they are ignorant or arrogant? please help me as i am breaking so badly inside...its not about me, i understand but i can't get past the anger of it. asthma flare-ups, anxiety attacks....so mad.
as always, thanks.

Donna
CG to Mom, dx 4/25/07 with tongue cancer,T3N0,tx began 7/6/07, 31 tx's of IMRT, 8 cycles of Erbitux. Brachytherapy, surgery, left neck dissection and temp trach placed all on 9/17/07, trach removed 10/17/07. ORN of jaw, late effect of radiation symptoms. **lost my beautiful mother on 5/5/11.
OP Offline

and she is dropping weight...

Donna
CG to Mom, dx 4/25/07 with tongue cancer,T3N0,tx began 7/6/07, 31 tx's of IMRT, 8 cycles of Erbitux. Brachytherapy, surgery, left neck dissection and temp trach placed all on 9/17/07, trach removed 10/17/07. ORN of jaw, late effect of radiation symptoms. **lost my beautiful mother on 5/5/11.
Senior Member (100+ posts)

oh Donna I am so sorry! I myself am an ex smoker, all I can say is I can't imagine going through what I have, and lighting up. I quit smoking when I had pre-cancerous cells on my cervics and learned that smoking increase my chance of cervical cancer by 40%. But you know, my husband is a smoker and also chews you would think after what has happened to me, you would think he would at least try to quit. Not a chance! I am so sorry, I can only imagine as a caregiver how much betrayal you must feel.

Wendy
46yrs@ DX 9/16/09 T1N0 SCC of leftlat tongue, poorly differentiated.Partial glosectomy 10/01/09 & 10/16/09 & 11/10/09 60-70% tongue removed, Radical fff, 38 nodes-clear, no rads/chemo. 3 petscans-clear

Donna, sorry that you are having to deal with this. I understand your frustration and fear. I don't think that your parents are ignorant or arrogant. We always want the best for those we love and hate to see them making choices we wish they would not make. We want to keep them as long as possible and as healthy as possible. However, in the end, it is their life, their choice and their right to choose.

I know I am probably coming from an entirely different perspective than most on the forum but I strongly believe that people have the right to self determination. After all is said and done, we are powerless over other people. If you mom refuses to quit smoking, then acceptance of her decision may be your only way to peace with it.

Dodie

Aunt diag. 2/4/10 with SCC Stage I/II on left side of tongue. Surgery 2/19/10 part. gloss./neck diss. on left side/free flap from chest muscle. TI/II,NO,MO. Clear margins with perineural invasion. Started rads 4/8/10 - 35 treatments, finished 5/26/10.
OP Offline

I didn't mean ignorant in a rude sense-more that after all that we have learned, to not understand. As for the arrogant remark...well, you would have to know me...I don't trust the beast and it seems like they are pitching stones at it to just see what it does.

I was mom's primary cg, she has come such a long way and takes care of herself, and my father has been the most loving and strong man I have ever known-he is the one who primarily takes her to the appts in Philly now. It is a betrayal to herself. I can't comprehend why she would light up, right now she is doing HBO tx's for severe necrosis in her left lower jaw bone. last night she said she felt the 'little men' stabbing her tongue. this morning, a hunk came of the tongue... i looked into her mouth for the first time in a while and saw that there is all the colorful activity going on. I don't know what to say to her. I'm scared. I don't understand this addiction. I like to think that if it were me, and i had gone through pure hell as she has, I wouldn't do it.
I love my mom, she has always been my friend, but I feel now like she and I are so estranged. i'm angry. Disappointed. greiving the loss of the fighter she was for the last few years...

Dodie, you are so right. So much easier said than done for me.

Donna
Platinum Member (300+ posts)
Platinum Member (300+ posts)

Hi Donna,

I totally understand your frustration and anger. But I agree with Dodie....we have no control over anyone else but ourselves. If your Mom wants to keep smoking, then she's going to have to deal with the consequences. I hope that doesn't sound harsh but you can't make her quit. She has got to be the one who makes that decision. Its not your job. You have been a caring and wonderful daughter. Hopefully with time your Mom will realize what's the healthy thing to do and do it!

Shelley

Caregiver to husband Ron. Throat Cancer. Finished 35 radiation treatments on 11/21/04. 8/2/11 small lesion on lower gum, laser Procedure to remove. 3/6/12 Doc. removed another lesion on outside of his neck. Did a skin graft from his chest to replace the skin on his neck. Went to Heaven on 6/24/12.

Donna, Hi! Haven't written for a good while, but saw your post and had to reply. I can understand your feelings of being let down. All the time, love, and worry you have put toward your Mom. I still think emotionally this beast is sometimes harder for the caregivers. But her smoking again wasn't meant to hurt you in anyway, I'm sure. Being honest, she probably didn't think about what it would do to you. Not that she doesn't love or appreciate you...the "habit" just took over. She's going to have to be the one to want to stop. And hopefully she will when she realizes the consequences. Take care of yourself, and tell your Mom I said Hi. Linda

Dx3/20/06 SCC,BOT,1N Tx:5cycles Carbo/Taxol, Rad:35x, brachytherapy:6x, completed 7/24/06
Gold Member (200+ posts)
Gold Member (200+ posts)

Oh Donna. I am so sorry to hear. This is my worst fear for my sister. I am so afraid that she is going to start up again also. She smoked a ciggerette day of surgery!!! I even get really mad when people smoke around her. I finally got to the point that I made my point about her smoking by telling her and haven't said a word since. If she smokes yes I will be very very upset, but I told her how I felt and I guess that's all I can do. It's a hard thing to swallow. Just tell her how you feel. Maybe you will have some peace.

CG to Sister (42). Smoker quit @ diagnosis Dx 4/20/10 SCC T2N0M0, Rside of tongue Hemigloss R neck dis, all nodes removed 6/2/10, Trach and NG in, home 6/8/10,8/18/2010 start erbitux x6, 30 IMRT end 10/11/10 with only 3x erbitux due to reaction and one week off of rads
1/10/2011 Clear PET!!!
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

Donna - It is so hard to see someone you care about going thru such a sad time. My mother smoked until she died from it, and I just lost a dear friend of mine (former nurse) because of smoking. I've never smoked and I've found it difficult to understand why some people seem to give it up so easily and others just can't. In one of my many visits to my nurse friend in the hospital before she died, she knew her daughter was upset with her and she confided to me, very emotionally, how she was addicted and just could not quit. I agree with Susan in that telling your Mom how you feel may bring you peace so you can accept your Mom's decision. I'm so glad you have such a wonderful and caring Dad to help with her care. You've certainly been a great caregiver and done everything you could. Maybe acceptance will allow you to have some more positive moments with your Mom to share.

Anne-Marie
CG to son, Paul (age 33, non-smoker) SCC Stage 2, Surgery 9/21/06, 1/6 tongue Rt.side removed, +48 lymph nodes neck. IMRTx28 completed 12/19/06. CT scan 7/8/10 Cancer-free! ("spot" on lung from scar tissue related to Pneumonia.)

Administrator, Director of Patient Support Services
Administrator, Director of Patient Support Services

Donna, Im so sorry to hear about this. After everything your mom went thru and to begin smoking again, its unthinkable!!!! Im sure you are just beside yorself. You probably feel so betrayed that after everything you have done to help her and take care of her she turns around and SMOKES?????? What the heck!!!!

I am a former smoker and would not even think of picking up a cigarette, EVER!!!!! Im not going to try to get Round 4. No way!!!!! I also cant imagine how someone could resume it after going thru tx. She knows its wrong or she wouldnt be hiding like a guilty teenager.

All you can do is tell her it will push her risk of recurrance up and it is not healthy. Print out some info and give it to her or your dad. Nothing else you can do. Of course you need to mention this to her doctors when they are puzzled why she is having problems. Again, Im really sorry to read your post. Tempting fate like this is not a good option.

Christine
SCC 6/15/07 L chk & by L molar both Stag I, age44
2x cispltn-35 IMRT end 9/27/07
-65 lbs in 2 mo, no caregvr
Clear PET 1/08
4/4/08 recur L chk Stag I
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
8/24/09 trach, ND, mandiblctmy
3wks medicly inducd coma