Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 9 of 10 1 2 7 8 9 10
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
OP Offline

Jim
I have voted on the site each and every day except when we had no electricity and it has always been up. Here is the link I use although it does take you first to the OCF page, and you click on vote then a pop up window to sign in comes up, then you vote. OCF PEPSI
Damn computers
Charm

65 yr Old Frack
Stage IV BOT T3N2M0 HPV 16+
2007:72GY IMRT(40) 8 ERBITUX No PEG
2008:CANCER BACK Salvage Surgery
25GY-CyberKnife(5) 3 Carboplatin
Apaghia /G button
2012: CANCER BACK -left tonsilar fossa
40GY-CyberKnife(5) 3 Carboplatin

Passed away 4-29-13

I had no trouble at noon yesterday, but at 5:30 pm couldn't get in for my husband to vote. Tried again later from home and it worked so keep trying.

We are now down to 23. May we shouldn't have gone for the big prize.

Take care,
Eileen

----------------------
Aug 1997 unknown primary, Stage III
mets to 1 lymph node in neck; rt ND, 36 XRT rad
Aug 2001 tiny tumor on larynx, Stage I total laryngectomy; left ND
June 5, 2010 dx early stage breast cancer
June 9, 2011 SCC 1.5 cm hypo pharynx, 70% P-16 positive, no mets, Stage I
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)

Go big or go home has always been my motto...kind of wish my cancer didn't follow that thinking but what can you do?

I read a comment on one link saying they didn't know what else to do to push it over the top, but the only words originally shared with the link was "vote". People are visual and emotional beings and to solicit a response, generally you have to stimulate visually or emotionally. When sharing your link or email...try to solicit an emotional response.

Example, Today I thanked all of my friends for helping me and getting the word out...then I played to heartstrings and shared with them this: "The day I found out I had Oral Cancer was the Second worse day of my life, the WORST day of my life was when I had to tell my 7 year old son I had cancer. He said "But Daddy I don't want you to die!"...it broke my heart. Vote, pass it on."

The response I got from that and the reposting from my non ocf friends was big...it would really take a heartless bastard to not act after reading that. Share that emotion...share an image, like my video. People will react more to that, then a simple plea to vote or a passing note to vote.

Just my $.02

Young Frack, SCC T4N2M0, Cisplatin,35+ rads,ND, RT Mandiblectomy w fibular free flap, facial paralysis, "He who has a "why" to live can bear with almost any "how"." -Nietzche "WARNING" PG-13 due to Sarcasm & WAY too much attitude, interact at your own risk.

An example to the reaction I got from one of my friends friend to her sharing what I posted above:

"Rick Block: Wow Eric I feel like you just grabbed me by the throat and squeezed till I felt it clear down in my heart. I will pray for you and your son. I also voted."

We have experiences that most can't fathom...use them.

Young Frack, SCC T4N2M0, Cisplatin,35+ rads,ND, RT Mandiblectomy w fibular free flap, facial paralysis, "He who has a "why" to live can bear with almost any "how"." -Nietzche "WARNING" PG-13 due to Sarcasm & WAY too much attitude, interact at your own risk.
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)

Yesterday my husband and I had dr appointments in the same bldg. so I quickly made up cards to put in the offices. I didn't have any printable cards (which I will get today) so I made a table in Word and printed them on some white card stock. I left some in dentist's office in the same bldg and asked his wife to email their patients,. In the drs offices I handed them to the drs and staff and left some by the check in/out desks. Hubby took some to give out this Am at services. I have asked friends and emailed many but will give them cards as I see them this week as a reminder.

This was the text which was arial 10pt, centered, page landscape, margins 0.3 top & bottom, 0.5 L & R, 15 cards/page

� To reduce the death rate from oral cancer
� To promote oral cancer screenings
� Let it be known, if found early oral cancer has a 80-90% survival rate

Please vote every day this month

www.refresheverything.com/oralcancerfoundation

Last edited by Malka; 02-19-2010 08:33 AM. Reason: spelling

SCC stage II Partial mandibulectomy w. neck dissection- July 2005. Renal cancer w. partial nephrectomy-Jan 2004. Breast cancer discovered in routine mammogram. Successful lumpectomy, sentinal nodes clear, RT only-2008 Reconstruction of mandible w fibula free flap-Jan 09. TORS removal of begnin pappiloma from esophagus-2010. Masectomy,rt breast 2013.
Support OCF

That is awesome, Malka!

Anita (68)
CG to husband, Clark, 79,
DX SCC 11/07, T4N0Mx, PEG 1/08, RAD, post rad infection 3/08,
HBOT 40 dives, ORN, Surg 11/09 mandibulectomy w/fibular graft.
Plastic Surg 4/10, 12/10, 3/11, 10/11, 4/12, 10/12. All PETS clear,
PEG out 1/11. 6/11 non union jaw fracture
Fractured jaw w/surgery 7/14
Aspiration pneumonia 7/21, 10/22
PEG 7/21
Botox injections

Fri I had to go to 2 different Walgreens. The pharmacists let me put the cards by the register. Also a fiend who teaches at Tulane took some to pass around.

SCC stage II Partial mandibulectomy w. neck dissection- July 2005. Renal cancer w. partial nephrectomy-Jan 2004. Breast cancer discovered in routine mammogram. Successful lumpectomy, sentinal nodes clear, RT only-2008 Reconstruction of mandible w fibula free flap-Jan 09. TORS removal of begnin pappiloma from esophagus-2010. Masectomy,rt breast 2013.
Support OCF
Platinum Member (300+ posts)
Platinum Member (300+ posts)

Just great Malka!!!

Susan Lauria - OCF Director of Events - Always looking for volunteers to help spread the word about early detection! Contact me if you can help!

*Brother passed away from tongue cancer in 2006 at age 47, was co-caregiver, he was non-smoker/casual drinker

LETS MAKE ORAL CANCER HISTORY!
OP Offline

Keep voting folks. While we are number 25 today, we did go up in the Health category from 10 to 6th. Great outreaches by EricS and Malka - impressive.
Charm

65 yr Old Frack
Stage IV BOT T3N2M0 HPV 16+
2007:72GY IMRT(40) 8 ERBITUX No PEG
2008:CANCER BACK Salvage Surgery
25GY-CyberKnife(5) 3 Carboplatin
Apaghia /G button
2012: CANCER BACK -left tonsilar fossa
40GY-CyberKnife(5) 3 Carboplatin

Passed away 4-29-13
OCF Founder
OCF Founder

Well, we took our best shot at this. You all did a great job of trying to pull together large groups of voters. Some of the people that were in the top ten have been at things for decades, and have HUGE networks of people to move towards an idea. All said, rating where we did out of 729 possible choices was pretty damn good.

So we didn't win the award. How many people do you think we got exposed to the words "oral cancer" through this effort that were completely unaware of this disease? Spreading awareness is one of our core missions, and this certainly helped that.

I was particularly impressed with some of the ideas that people put out there, like Eric who has some clear marketing background hidden in there somewhere. I want to thank you all for trying to make this happen.

Pepsi automatically enrolls groups in subsequent months competitions. I think that we should not make any effort to work on the next go around of this. There are several reasons. One is that unlike the Great Non-Profits effort, you have to come back everyday for a month to try to make something happen. To be honest this marketing ploy by Pepsi to get you to see their name and logo every day in a row for 30 days is really asking a lot of people. Also we have no idea published by Pepsi, if one person or a thousand people voted for us each day, or how far behind the others we were at any point in time. Obviously this is by design.... but I think the design stinks.

Lastly I don't want to burn out those that have stepped up for OCF time and time again to help us with things. Another month of this will just burn people out on something we will likely still be far away from having, when I would rather be able to ask them for some other kind of assistance down the road, and not have them feeling like it's a " oh no, not another OCF thing again" when we do.

I thank you all for giving it your best shot, and for being there for OCF once again. This won't be the last thing to come along, and next time perhaps things will turn out better. So even though the foundation will be automatically enrolled in the next voting session - Please let this next one go. There will be other opportunities down the road.

Brian, stage 4 oral cancer survivor. OCF Founder and Director. The first responsibility of a leader is to define reality. The last is to say thank you. In between, the leader is a servant.
Page 9 of 10 1 2 7 8 9 10

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916, Megm37
13,103 Registered Users
Forum Statistics