Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 7 of 10 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10
Gold Member (200+ posts)
Gold Member (200+ posts)

I just went to vote for the day and we're sitting at 20!!

Patty
08-10-09 Partial Glossectomy w/suprahyoid neck dissection
SCC T1NOMX Stage I | 46 years old
Administrator, Director of Patient Support Services
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
Administrator, Director of Patient Support Services

Yippeeee moving up to #20!!!!!

Do we have anyone on here that has school aged young children? It would make a great class project to get involved with the voting. Anyone involved with any organizations or churches who would get the word out quickly to vote for OCF? Since newsletters are usually planned well in advance, word of mouth works.

I have some of my friends working on promoting OCF. Ive checked up on my friends and they tell me they are still voting daily. Eric has quite a network going with the promoting. Wish I had more contacts to help.

Christine
SCC 6/15/07 L chk & by L molar both Stag I, age44
2x cispltn-35 IMRT end 9/27/07
-65 lbs in 2 mo, no caregvr
Clear PET 1/08
4/4/08 recur L chk Stag I
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
8/24/09 trach, ND, mandiblctmy
3wks medicly inducd coma
2 mo xtended hospital stay, ICU & burn unit
PICC line IV antibx 8 mo
10/4/10, 2/14/11 reconst surg
OC 3x in 3 years
very happy to be alive smile
OCF Founder
OCF Founder

I agree with Eric. This is our shot, This month. Pepsi's marketing team really had a smart idea here. 30 times a person has to come and see the Pepsi logo, hear that Pepsi is doing good in the world etc. and the number of email address they are collecting for future marketing plans has to be astronomical.

But most people, even me, have a life besides this, and while I am obsessed about this, if it wasn't my cause, I would be way less enthusiastic about staying with it for a second month. Enthusiasm will wain. That is only human nature. This is THE month to get it done. If we give it our best shot and don't make it, there will be other opportunities that we can channel our energies and those who join with us as friends in our extended networks, to make happen. We are asking for a daily commitment already.... another month? I think that we will have gotten from people a lot already, and they won't be there as strongly. This is the month.

Brian, stage 4 oral cancer survivor. OCF Founder and Director. The first responsibility of a leader is to define reality. The last is to say thank you. In between, the leader is a servant.

Bringing this back to the top. Please remember to vote everyone.

Take care,
Eileen

----------------------
Aug 1997 unknown primary, Stage III
mets to 1 lymph node in neck; rt ND, 36 XRT rad
Aug 2001 tiny tumor on larynx, Stage I total laryngectomy; left ND
June 5, 2010 dx early stage breast cancer
June 9, 2011 SCC 1.5 cm hypo pharynx, 70% P-16 positive, no mets, Stage I
OP Offline

I agree with Brian and Eric that this is indeed the month to push and win. and yes enthusiasm will wane. Still I had gotten the impression from previous similar efforts that when we are #20 and need to be #1 or #2, that some posters get too discouraged. With the recurrence, I have gotten used to always having a plan B, hence my mention of technicality.
Vote, Vote vote.
Charm

65 yr Old Frack
Stage IV BOT T3N2M0 HPV 16+
2007:72GY IMRT(40) 8 ERBITUX No PEG
2008:CANCER BACK Salvage Surgery
25GY-CyberKnife(5) 3 Carboplatin
Apaghia /G button
2012: CANCER BACK -left tonsilar fossa
40GY-CyberKnife(5) 3 Carboplatin

Passed away 4-29-13
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)

Yesterday was a great day for OCF on the Facebook end...well done. Even with the changes on Facebook (ugh) there were several posters from OCF on my News Feed.

Christine had great suggestions as far as getting the word out, students and religious organizations. Larger companies are taking a different approach to marketing towards the younger crowds (16-24y/o) by using "campus advocates". Basically they give a student an internship and have them raise awareness on campus, driving others by word of mouth and relationship. The companies will generally choose a high profile, student "leader" for this. It's highly effective too as word of mouth is the most effective form of advertising and it's hard to find a more driven force then "youth with a cause".

The same can be said with religious and faith based groups who wish to make a difference...historically speaking there is not a more powerful influence.

This being said, it's worth talking with either teachers or students to help drive voting or faith based groups. Key thing here is talking and relationship...motivating people to action usually takes more then a flyer or AD. Think about how often we see print or tv ads and ignore them due to how often we are inundated with them. Now ask yourself when the last time you saw a movie or bought something from a friends recommendation...

Way to step up guys let's keep rollin.

Eric

Young Frack, SCC T4N2M0, Cisplatin,35+ rads,ND, RT Mandiblectomy w fibular free flap, facial paralysis, "He who has a "why" to live can bear with almost any "how"." -Nietzche "WARNING" PG-13 due to Sarcasm & WAY too much attitude, interact at your own risk.

I was thinking of students last night. How about all those dental students that keep organizing the walks at least in Philly and NYC. Brian or Megan - do you have any contacts you could you to get them moving?

Take care,
Eileen

----------------------
Aug 1997 unknown primary, Stage III
mets to 1 lymph node in neck; rt ND, 36 XRT rad
Aug 2001 tiny tumor on larynx, Stage I total laryngectomy; left ND
June 5, 2010 dx early stage breast cancer
June 9, 2011 SCC 1.5 cm hypo pharynx, 70% P-16 positive, no mets, Stage I
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)

Christine,

There is a more direct link. It eliminates two steps in the process, takes you directly to the OCF page. I know eliminating two clicks seems insignificant, but the quicker and easier it is, the more people may stick with doing it daily.

http://www.refresheverything.com/oralcancerfoundation

Was primary caregiver to my daughter Heather who had stage IV base of tongue SCC w/ primary recurrence. Original diagnosis August 21st, 2002. Primary recurrence March 18th, 2003. Died October 6th, 2003.
OP Offline

Wow, great ideas. I'm putting on my thinking cap to see which groups would be a possibility but most of my close circle have died (Cancer, AIDS, car accidents, murdered in street robbery, etc) and my secondary circles are problematic in actual follow-thru on daily voting.
While it is very sad to see such young people in the prime of life like Suzanne and EricS (no slight to any of the other wonderful young posters, I got to run as my wife's computer just crashed with blue screen of death and give microsoft XP loop)
it is wonderful to see such energy and new ways of communicating using all the social tools that were only science fiction for me
I voted today just in case we lose electricity again with the new 10 inches of snow
Charm

65 yr Old Frack
Stage IV BOT T3N2M0 HPV 16+
2007:72GY IMRT(40) 8 ERBITUX No PEG
2008:CANCER BACK Salvage Surgery
25GY-CyberKnife(5) 3 Carboplatin
Apaghia /G button
2012: CANCER BACK -left tonsilar fossa
40GY-CyberKnife(5) 3 Carboplatin

Passed away 4-29-13
MeganCannon
Unregistered
MeganCannon
Unregistered

We do have several student contacts at NYU, UCLA, USC, Penn State and a few others. I've sent out emails that should have reached to them but I'm thinking today I will send them all personalized emails.

Just reached out to my younger brother's girlfriend who is head of her Sorority at VCU. She said they are always looking for ways to give back to non-profits and this is right up her alley. She will be emailing all of her sisters and encouraging them to post links on their facebook pages as well. I will be looking for other ways to reach out to multiple frats and sorority's today as well.

Page 7 of 10 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916, Megm37
13,103 Registered Users
Forum Statistics