Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#106316 11-03-2009 09:12 AM
Allan Offline OP
Contributing Member (25+ posts)
OP Offline

Hi everyone got the results of my latest CT scan today the good news is that i do not appear to have ant tumors any where on my body apart from the one behind my heart , the lumps in my neck appear to be scar tissue , my consultant thinks that the tumor is not growing quick enough to be cancer , but it has grown 6mm over 8 weeks ,he thinks it may be a Sarcoma which i have been told is not uncommon after having radition (9 weeks of it ) for my throat cancer ,i am now waiting for them to decide what to to next ,they said they may do a pet scan so till they decide i am waiting, has any one else heard of this after effect after rad treatment for throat cancer , it appears to be another form of cancer, that as more people are surviving throat cancer this can happen , anyway no throat cancer back, just in limbo waiting for the next move , cancer it just never stops giving ,by for now Allan

age 52 heavy drinker and heavy smoker stage 111 squamous cell at base of tongue trying to give them all up ,8 lot of cetuximab and 35 lots of radiation , gave up smoking at the start of treatment. only drink now in moderation
"OCF across the pond"
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)
"OCF across the pond"
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)

Oh my god Allan,you just have to have it all don't you? Unfortunately i know a few folk who have been diagnosed with a completely seperate cancer after they have successfully beaten Oral Cancer life is not fair is it?I know you will tackle this news with the same attitude you beat the beast with before.

good luck sweetie
love liz

Liz in the UK

Husband Robin aged 44 years Dx 8th Dec 2006 poorly differentiated SCC tongue with met to neck T1N2cM0 Surgery and Radiation.Finished TX April 2007
Recurrence June/07 died July 29th/07.

Never take your eye off the ball, it may just smack you in the mouth.
OCF Founder
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
OCF Founder
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

Sarcomas, particularly of the mandible, do happen to 3-5% of people that get high doses of radiation, usually 70+ grays..... but these do not appear until about year ten post treatment. IF you have something else, it is not likely that this is from your radiation treatments.

Brian, stage 4 oral cancer survivor. OCF Founder and Director. The first responsibility of a leader is to define reality. The last is to say thank you. In between, the leader is a servant.
Allan Offline OP
OP Offline

they have scaned me for cancer elsewhere and i am all clear all i have is some small nodules in my lungs which they say are a result of my radiation for my throat cancer , so at present it is a mystery ,the problem is they can not get to the tumor as it is tucked behind my heart ,so surgery is a no no at present ,so at present it is wait and see what they suggest next , cheers Allan

age 52 heavy drinker and heavy smoker stage 111 squamous cell at base of tongue trying to give them all up ,8 lot of cetuximab and 35 lots of radiation , gave up smoking at the start of treatment. only drink now in moderation

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916, Megm37
13,103 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums23