Posted By: Allan Sarcoma from radition ? - 11-03-2009 04:12 PM
Hi everyone got the results of my latest CT scan today the good news is that i do not appear to have ant tumors any where on my body apart from the one behind my heart , the lumps in my neck appear to be scar tissue , my consultant thinks that the tumor is not growing quick enough to be cancer , but it has grown 6mm over 8 weeks ,he thinks it may be a Sarcoma which i have been told is not uncommon after having radition (9 weeks of it ) for my throat cancer ,i am now waiting for them to decide what to to next ,they said they may do a pet scan so till they decide i am waiting, has any one else heard of this after effect after rad treatment for throat cancer , it appears to be another form of cancer, that as more people are surviving throat cancer this can happen , anyway no throat cancer back, just in limbo waiting for the next move , cancer it just never stops giving ,by for now Allan
Posted By: Cookey Re: Sarcoma from radition ? - 11-03-2009 07:29 PM
Oh my god Allan,you just have to have it all don't you? Unfortunately i know a few folk who have been diagnosed with a completely seperate cancer after they have successfully beaten Oral Cancer life is not fair is it?I know you will tackle this news with the same attitude you beat the beast with before.

good luck sweetie
love liz
Posted By: Brian Hill Re: Sarcoma from radition ? - 11-04-2009 05:35 AM
Sarcomas, particularly of the mandible, do happen to 3-5% of people that get high doses of radiation, usually 70+ grays..... but these do not appear until about year ten post treatment. IF you have something else, it is not likely that this is from your radiation treatments.
Posted By: Allan Re: Sarcoma from radition ? - 11-04-2009 04:27 PM
they have scaned me for cancer elsewhere and i am all clear all i have is some small nodules in my lungs which they say are a result of my radiation for my throat cancer , so at present it is a mystery ,the problem is they can not get to the tumor as it is tucked behind my heart ,so surgery is a no no at present ,so at present it is wait and see what they suggest next , cheers Allan
© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum