Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 8 of 19 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 18 19
Brian Hill #105011 10-11-2009 04:55 AM
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

JOn , as promised here are the Company email address. www,biotene.com ... this is manufactured about 70 miles from my home and ...www.Eucerin.com... I hope this can aid in your finding out if these are sold in your country.. Jim

Since posting this. UPMC, Pittsburgh, Oct 2011 until Jan. I averaged about 2 to 3 surgeries a week there. w Can't have jaw made as bone is deteroriating steaily that is left in jaw. Mersa is to blame. Feeding tube . Had trach for 4mos. Got it out April.
--- Passed away 5/14/14, will be greatly missed by everyone here
EzJim #105014 10-11-2009 08:35 AM
Supporting Member (50+ posts)
OP Offline
Supporting Member (50+ posts)

Ok thank you EzJim, the problem I have, no one in Thailand sells these products and I need 180 cans of Carnation VHC Nutrition Instant Breakfast 560 drinks, a month, at 33 dollars for 24.
or this nutrition drink it was called Nutren 1.0 with fiber. It is made by Nestle. Although it only has 250 calories per can they said at eight cans a day,, I will need both the calories and liquid hydration. Hydration is very important.

Also EAS daily nutrition choc drink, plus many Biotene products, I have written to see if the sell or send, to Thailand, but I don�t think so.

Stoppers fake spit is a must, but I cant get it any where, any one know how i can buy it,
xylocain spray to help with eating I have to get , hydnocidine for thrush in case I get it , aquaphor ointment to rub on radiation burns, cant even get baking soda to gargle with.

I have to also buy feroglobin which has iron and vitamins B12 and other stuff to raise my blood count, you can�t even get Seltzer water here to clear the flem from your throat, when you think you�re going to stop breathing.

Also, Biotene's soft toothbrushs, is softer, Brian does this web site ship to Thailand, if you sell all these products above, I�d use you to buy them all. and youc an ship them to me here.

Ill also see how I can get florid, to put on my teeth who sells that by the way.

So being here I get nothing free, I have to pay for everything as you see.

I may have to come to some deal with my brother and sister, in law, who is an angel, the whole family are ooozing with love if only i could be there, may be they can get it shipped over here somehow.... I only wish I could have this treatment in Canada, but I�m in the best place for it here, if I can afford it, as they are very good at this hospital.

DonB No mention of seeing a dentist yet and I would not be able to afford one any way as I know there is 3 teeth that need coming out, why is it so Impotent, can you let me know the reason .

Thanks for your wonderful support this is amazing stuff.

Last edited by Teacher jon; 10-11-2009 08:51 AM. Reason: extras

"Base of Tongue Cancer", may be HPV cancer. swollen lymph nodes, half the tongue base Now T2/3 N2 MRI scan and simulation mask, 4 Chemo/35 rad of 35. Tumors gone. can eat. MRI April 19th , Nodes now all gone, was 6 cm, weight GAIN to 81 kg but found 2.1 grey area on MRI. Biopsy next.
Teacher jon #105015 10-11-2009 10:05 AM
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)

Jon,
For the dental issues, there are much more technically knowledgeable forum members who can give you better advise than I can, but after radiation the blood supply in the jaw bone is diminished so dental problems becomes a nightmare.

I take it you can not buy things over the Internet?

Can the hospital's pharmacy help you get some of this?

Have you asked your medical team how the other patients going through this treatment at this hospital get what they need?

Also, if you can find a source for getting Biotene products you might not need 'Stoppers'. Biotene makes a dry mouth spray, mouthwash and toothpaste (I have heard their mouthwash also works fine as a dry mouth spray).

Don
TXN2bM0 Stage IVa SCC-Occult Primary
FNA 6/6/08-SCC in node<2cm
PET/CT 6/19/08-SCC in 2nd node<1cm
HiRes CT 6/21/08
Exploratory,Tonsillectomy(benign),Right SND 6/23/08
PEG 7/3/08-11/6/08
35 TomoTherapy 7/16/08-9/04/08 No Chemo
Clear PET/CT 11/15/08, 5/15/09, 5/28/10, 7/8/11

Teacher jon #105019 10-11-2009 12:04 PM
Gold Member (200+ posts)
Gold Member (200+ posts)

Jon:

Another website you may want to try is www.drugstore.com.

Also, have you talked to any of your doctors or nurses about these products. They should have some experience with this and be able to help you.

Sandy 56, BOT SCC Biopsy 1/21/09 Stage 3, T3NXM0.
Finished 3 cycle induction chemotherapy 4/7/09. (Chisplatin, 5-fu and Texotere). Re-staged 4/20/09,(very successful.) Will start Carboplatin/radiation 2 Gy/5 days/7 weeks (Tomotherapy) starting May 4th. Finished 6/22/09.
OCF member/supporter

Brian Hill #105020 10-11-2009 02:10 PM

Jon,
Just a FYI, keeping in mind that everyone's response and treatment plan is different, this was my experience with the meds, Tomo and stuff.

Dental - the CCC dental group gave me several soft 'baby' toothbrushes and Biotene sample-kits (mouthwash, oral balance, toothpaste, etc.. I just used the Biotene toothpaste with a 'baby' toothbrush (nothing else).

Dry Mouth/Spit - My CCC team told me to expect bouts of dry mouth for about a year. I drank water or juice (apple, grape, etc..) and I often rinsed my mouth out with a teaspoon of baking soda, plus a teaspoon a salt added to a glass of warm water. Dry mouth was worse at night and I took a glass of water to bed.

Pain - I used Hydrocodone-APAP Solution (generic for Lortab) for mouth/throat pain. I needed very little since the bad pain was after my surgery not during radiation.

Eating Pain - I never opened my bottle of Lidocaine. Before it became all that painful to swallow, I quit eating solid food due to the terrible taste and started use my PEG.

Burn - The CCC gave me Biafine and Aloe Vesta for radiation burn, but I bought Aquaphor at a local drug store and preferred it as an overnight ointment.

Liquid Diet - I used Nutren 1.0 (with fiber) through the PEG. The CCC prescribed and supplied the Nutren. I was also told to either drink or PEG a glass of plum/prune juice a day to help prevent constipation and to keep drinking as much as I could by mouth in order to help sustain swallowing function. I also ate at least two pudding cups a day.

Nausea - The CCC gave me some Kytril 1.2mg tablets as a standby med for nausea and when that didn't work they switch to Compro 25mg suppositories then to Zofran. I only had bad nausea the week, but it got real bad and I had to be re-hydrated with a couple of IV's.

Mucous - I never had really bad mucous and around the fourth week of treatments they had me start taking a dose of Robitussin DM daily through the PEG to help minimize it. Robitussin is a non-prescription cough suppressant/expectorant that I got at the local drug store.

Most of my meds were liquid, so they could be taken through the PEG, but even pills can be crushed and put down a PEG.

Don
TXN2bM0 Stage IVa SCC-Occult Primary
FNA 6/6/08-SCC in node<2cm
PET/CT 6/19/08-SCC in 2nd node<1cm
HiRes CT 6/21/08
Exploratory,Tonsillectomy(benign),Right SND 6/23/08
PEG 7/3/08-11/6/08
35 TomoTherapy 7/16/08-9/04/08 No Chemo
Clear PET/CT 11/15/08, 5/15/09, 5/28/10, 7/8/11

DonB #105045 10-12-2009 11:02 AM

Jon,
You need to talk to your medical team and find out what the equivalent products are that they use in Thailand. I'm certain they must have something for peg tubs, nausea, etc. Thrush medicine and most pain and nausea meds are prescription so your doctors there should be prescribing it. Biafine is also a prescription cream for radiation burns so you would need a script for that from the doctor and have to fill it locally.

If you have teeth that need to be pulled, they need to come out before radiation. Otherwise you will need 40 hyperbaric oxygen treatments afterwards before they can pull the teeth. These are not cheap either.

As for working, you may lose your voice or only have a whisper for a week or two. Can you possibly tape or video tape now the classes that you would have to teach the 5th -9th weeks of treatment? How much talking do you have to do during a normal teaching day. You say you ar teaching English. At what age or grade level are these kids?

When do your treatments start? Are you getting tomotherapy? What chemo drug will they use? Are they planning surgery after the radiation? If so, the normal hospital stay for a neck dissection is 5 days and you usually can't go back to work for a week or so. I went back to a desk job on day 8 and paid for it with a lot of pain.

I understand your need to be prepared but you should at least attempt to find out people use locally. You might even find that some of those products are better than what is available in the US. Do you have a starting date?

Take care,
Eileen

----------------------
Aug 1997 unknown primary, Stage III
mets to 1 lymph node in neck; rt ND, 36 XRT rad
Aug 2001 tiny tumor on larynx, Stage I total laryngectomy; left ND
June 5, 2010 dx early stage breast cancer
June 9, 2011 SCC 1.5 cm hypo pharynx, 70% P-16 positive, no mets, Stage I
Eileen #105048 10-12-2009 01:44 PM
Gold Member (200+ posts)
Gold Member (200+ posts)

Jon, I've just been reading this thread. I have only dealt with this as a caregiver to my Mom but wanted to pass along my best wishes for you as you go through this tough journey. My mother did not get a port - it was not offered to her. We definitely learned a lesson there as it would have made it so much easier for her. Towards the end of her treatment they had an extremely hard time getting into her veins. She did have a PEG inserted after dropping to 94 lbs. and losing her swallowing capability to the point where they were concerned she would aspirate. She is now maintaining and is up to 96 lbs. I have to say that you have certainly come to a wonderful place for advice. There are so many people here who can and are helping you. Thank goodness there is a place like this. Keep gathering the helpful info and caring support. Be positive!!!

CG/Mom: 5 1/2 years SCC upper palate,4 recurrences, surgeries, chemo & radiation. Mom went to Heaven 1/21/11.
nancys2 #105257 10-16-2009 09:49 PM
Senior Member (100+ posts)

Listen to Nancy... I did mine alone and spent way too much time back tracking for information and not asking the right questions. Write everything down that is bothering you and ask questions and ask them again until you understand the answers.

Last edited by hisnibs; 10-16-2009 09:50 PM.

Age 52, T2 N0 M0 SCC of left anterior floor of mouth. Esophagoscopy, Direct laryngoscopy, Resection of left anterior FOM lesion w/ lateral tongue. left selective neck dissection levels I-IV. 5x6cm skin graft coverng excision. Finished 33-35 rad Tx. False recurrence 12-22-10 last surgery 2-15-10
davidcpa #105258 10-16-2009 09:58 PM

Hmmm. My GP was the first to call my cancer and all he said was I needed to get good with God.
Mine turned out as stage 2 and no nodes affected. I didn;t like what I was told and what I was not smart enough to ask throughout my cancer experience, but the CCC approach, the cancer board reviews and the back forth the board had pinpointing the extent of cell damage and invasion was important. It saved me part of my jaw because one doctor stood up to the others not believing my cancer had spread to my jaw. It hadn't.
Praying tonight for Teacher Jon

Age 52, T2 N0 M0 SCC of left anterior floor of mouth. Esophagoscopy, Direct laryngoscopy, Resection of left anterior FOM lesion w/ lateral tongue. left selective neck dissection levels I-IV. 5x6cm skin graft coverng excision. Finished 33-35 rad Tx. False recurrence 12-22-10 last surgery 2-15-10
davidcpa #105260 10-16-2009 10:05 PM

Weird stray from the issue here. People would prefer t work in my mind. MAny have seen the hoplessness of how our economy changed in the 70s. Corporations kept the money that was normally shared with emplyees and it hasn't changed. We are forced to live beyond our means and in debt to have the things our parents had. It can become a hopeless state. Single Payer Health and get the Money out of Politics is my space.

Page 8 of 19 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 18 19

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
amndcllns01, Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916
13,104 Registered Users
Forum Statistics