Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
OP Offline

42 yo/f
20 yr smoker
obese/numerous undiagnosed med issues(no job no insurance and because of my 401 k, that i cashed out did not qualify for any assistance)
unemployed for 2 yrs and health degrading/financial crises
Biggest worry yesterday was likely being homeless with my kids within 2 months, biggest worry today Not being around to be homeless.

small rough patch presented but was not too concerned about it,
less than 4 days growth and is larger than pea sized, grainy textured hard growth under tongue,floor of mouth near front jawline.

I have a pretty good picture of the growth,please email me to see it. I am terrified of what the growth is and how fast it is increasing in size, I have about enough money to see 1 doctor, 1 time, need someone to point me in the best direction. I get overwhelmed and frustrated easily and for fear of doing something wrong may not do what I should be doing because I cannot clearly see what that should be, under my circumstances.

I have a whole list of additional symptoms that are occurring at this time and not sure which may be related to the growth and which are not.

any suggestions and opinions are very much appreciated
Thank You

Just learning to Live
Senior Patient Advocate
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
Senior Patient Advocate

Penny,

I know you are new but once you post a question in one Forum, there is no need to post it in another unless a day or so goes by and no one responds. Most everyone here reads all new posts posted since their last visit so all will most likely see it and those that have something to offer will respond. That's a beauty of this site.

David

Age 58 at Dx, HPV16+ SCC, Stage IV BOT+2 nodes, non smoker, casual drinker, exercise nut, Cisplatin x 3 & concurrent IMRT x 35,(70 Gy), no surgery, no Peg, Tx at Moffitt over Aug 06. Jun 07, back to riding my bike 100 miles a wk. Now doing 12 Spin classes and 60 outdoor miles per wk. Nov 13 completed Hilly Century ride for Cancer, 104 miles, 1st Place in my age group. Apr 2014 & 15, Spun for 9 straight hrs to raise $$ for YMCA's Livestrong Program. Certified Spin Instructor Jun 2014.

My suggestion is got see a Dr of some type, Preferably and ENT. Maybe an Oncologist, but go even if it's to ease your mind.

Since posting this. UPMC, Pittsburgh, Oct 2011 until Jan. I averaged about 2 to 3 surgeries a week there. w Can't have jaw made as bone is deteroriating steaily that is left in jaw. Mersa is to blame. Feeding tube . Had trach for 4mos. Got it out April.
--- Passed away 5/14/14, will be greatly missed by everyone here
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)

Penny, It would be unusual for a cancer to grow fast enough for you to be able to notice it in 4 days. There is no way anyone could diagnose what this is from a photo.

You should be able to find a service (social) that can guide you to medical help.

Mark, 21 Year survivor, SCC right tonsil, 3 nodes positive, one with extra-capsular spread. I never asked what stage (would have scared me anyway) Right side tonsillectomy, radical neck dissection right side, maximum radiation to both sides, no chemo, no PEG, age 40 when diagnosed.

I agree with Mark. There is no way, except for imagination, to see a tumor increase that fast. Our minds can play funny tricks on us and mess up our realities.

Since posting this. UPMC, Pittsburgh, Oct 2011 until Jan. I averaged about 2 to 3 surgeries a week there. w Can't have jaw made as bone is deteroriating steaily that is left in jaw. Mersa is to blame. Feeding tube . Had trach for 4mos. Got it out April.
OP Offline

Hopefully, then, with how quickly it has continued to increase, this may actually be a good sign, since a cancerous growth would not increase in size so rapidly. Have appt to see ENT, Having Garage sale to raise the money.
Thanks For your response

Good luck and PLEASE keep us informed. Praying for you!

T2N1M0 Stage IV SSC right lower alveolar ridge with fibula free flap, Peg, trach, selective neck dissection,one node positive. No Chemo or radiation.Surgery 3/08.Cancer free for 2 years as of March 13.

Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things and no good thing ever dies.
OP Offline

Dr App. Dr. stated "might" be several different things, said it looked suspicious as did other areas on the mouth. Said he wanted to biopsy 2 areas. Took almost all of the warty looking growth but left several of the seedy looking segments behind. I looked when I returned home and there were only 5 noticeable bits, in the 12 hrs since the biopsy, it has continued to grow and is now large enough that i am not able to count the many little structures, AND there is one(several?) on my lower lip that is/are about 1/4th" that was/were not noticeable during my exam.
Not sure why Dr did not do second biopsy or if/when he plans to do so. set appt for 10 day follow up, I asked how much the follow up would be and the receptionist said she could not tell me because she did not yet know if the follow up would be a regular OV or if a surgical follow up. I was too dumbfounded to form a coherent thought, did not want to appear a total anxiety driven nut case , so I did not ask for clarification.
I read some more about the different types of HPV that can affect the head neck and mouth and really am scared. I did not think to mention to the DR that prior to the lesion showing up in my mouth that the few days leading up to it, I thought I was coming down with the flu and had been having a blocked feeling in my upper chest and neck a bit like choking or gagging that makes it feel like I can't quite get my breath. of course now I am feeling it still but I am telling myself it is anxiety, but I also worry that maybe there are more growths down in my throat maybe the esophagus. as fast as this is growing, I am worry about silly things like it blocking off my airway if I fall asleep to long.

I have only had 1 sexual intimacy in 12 yrs. relationship was still very new when my Father Passed away in 2007, and less than 1 week later, my new Boyfriend passed away. I was not able to get much information from his family regarding his death. was told heart attack and other complications. I do know that 2 weeks prior to his passing he has several biopsies done on scalp eruptions that would not heal and on his tongue as well.
The evening before my Father died, My "boyfriend" called and said there was something he needed to tell me, then he got a call waiting from his daughter and never called me back. My father passed away and with all the final disposition, I did not talk to the "BF" again til the evening before he had his H/A, lost consciousness, went on life support, 5 days later his family took him off the vent. I went to the funeral, it was a horrendous event with the ex wife and the hostile teen daughter( I had only met the daughter 1 time), without provocation the daughter attacked me screaming that I was the "B" that gave her Dad an STD. This totally took me off guard. the daughter was subdued and I left, I didnt feel like I belonged there anyway.
It was apprx a week later that I had thousands of tiny clear fluid filled eruptions in the roof of my mouth, my throat and in my nose and on the insides of my eyelids. I went to the Dr and was told it was a self limiting virus and would go away on its own in a week or two, I asked then if it would be related to having oral sex and the Dr laughed at me and I felt foolish and did not asked fruther questions... Now I wonder........"what did the BF want to talk to me about" ( I will never know) and was that self limiting virus a reaction to exposure to whatever is now causing these growths... I certainly hope I remember to try and hold the doctors attention long enough to ask about it.

Edited for spelling and dropped key strokes.

Last edited by Penny6612; 09-24-2009 12:39 AM.

Just learning to Live

Penny, don't beat yourself up over things that are past. You have the now and the future to think about. I'm sure your Drs will learn what the problem is with you and do what is needed. Usually there is a follow up visit with your Dr that isn't charged for. It is a part of the initial visit and the cost is included in the 1st visit to the DR. As for what is in your mouth. let the Drs inform yoy of what they have found. It is cancer when the diagnosis says it is and not before. Yes I would be worried like anyone in here would. I can't say don't worry because that is impossible. Good luck and keep us informed.

Senior Patient Advocate
Senior Patient Advocate

Penny,

Your chances of having vaginal HPV is probably in the 80% range JUST LIKE ALL THE OTHER WOMEN IN THE WORLD YOUR AGE.

Your chances of having Oral HPV AND it causing cancer is probably less than 5%.

Your chances are much much much much greater of developing oral cancer (and a million other cancers) from tobacco than it is from HPV.

Again you have to wait until or even IF a biopsy is done to confirm oral cancer.

David

Age 58 at Dx, HPV16+ SCC, Stage IV BOT+2 nodes, non smoker, casual drinker, exercise nut, Cisplatin x 3 & concurrent IMRT x 35,(70 Gy), no surgery, no Peg, Tx at Moffitt over Aug 06. Jun 07, back to riding my bike 100 miles a wk. Now doing 12 Spin classes and 60 outdoor miles per wk. Nov 13 completed Hilly Century ride for Cancer, 104 miles, 1st Place in my age group. Apr 2014 & 15, Spun for 9 straight hrs to raise $$ for YMCA's Livestrong Program. Certified Spin Instructor Jun 2014.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916, Megm37
13,103 Registered Users
Forum Statistics