Posted By: Penny6612 Fast Growing growth floor of mouth - 09-20-2009 05:26 PM
42 yo/f
20 yr smoker
obese/numerous undiagnosed med issues(no job no insurance and because of my 401 k, that i cashed out did not qualify for any assistance)
unemployed for 2 yrs and health degrading/financial crises
Biggest worry yesterday was likely being homeless with my kids within 2 months, biggest worry today Not being around to be homeless.

small rough patch presented but was not too concerned about it,
less than 4 days growth and is larger than pea sized, grainy textured hard growth under tongue,floor of mouth near front jawline.

I have a pretty good picture of the growth,please email me to see it. I am terrified of what the growth is and how fast it is increasing in size, I have about enough money to see 1 doctor, 1 time, need someone to point me in the best direction. I get overwhelmed and frustrated easily and for fear of doing something wrong may not do what I should be doing because I cannot clearly see what that should be, under my circumstances.

I have a whole list of additional symptoms that are occurring at this time and not sure which may be related to the growth and which are not.

any suggestions and opinions are very much appreciated
Thank You
Posted By: davidcpa Re: Fast Growing growth floor of mouth - 09-21-2009 12:38 PM
Penny,

I know you are new but once you post a question in one Forum, there is no need to post it in another unless a day or so goes by and no one responds. Most everyone here reads all new posts posted since their last visit so all will most likely see it and those that have something to offer will respond. That's a beauty of this site.
Posted By: EzJim Re: Fast Growing growth floor of mouth - 09-21-2009 05:19 PM
My suggestion is got see a Dr of some type, Preferably and ENT. Maybe an Oncologist, but go even if it's to ease your mind.
Posted By: Mark Re: Fast Growing growth floor of mouth - 09-22-2009 01:47 AM
Penny, It would be unusual for a cancer to grow fast enough for you to be able to notice it in 4 days. There is no way anyone could diagnose what this is from a photo.

You should be able to find a service (social) that can guide you to medical help.
Posted By: EzJim Re: Fast Growing growth floor of mouth - 09-22-2009 06:42 AM
I agree with Mark. There is no way, except for imagination, to see a tumor increase that fast. Our minds can play funny tricks on us and mess up our realities.
Posted By: Penny6612 Re: Fast Growing growth floor of mouth - 09-22-2009 06:55 AM
Hopefully, then, with how quickly it has continued to increase, this may actually be a good sign, since a cancerous growth would not increase in size so rapidly. Have appt to see ENT, Having Garage sale to raise the money.
Thanks For your response
Posted By: SuzyB47 Re: Fast Growing growth floor of mouth - 09-23-2009 06:11 AM
Good luck and PLEASE keep us informed. Praying for you!
Posted By: Penny6612 Re: Fast Growing growth floor of mouth - 09-24-2009 07:32 AM
Dr App. Dr. stated "might" be several different things, said it looked suspicious as did other areas on the mouth. Said he wanted to biopsy 2 areas. Took almost all of the warty looking growth but left several of the seedy looking segments behind. I looked when I returned home and there were only 5 noticeable bits, in the 12 hrs since the biopsy, it has continued to grow and is now large enough that i am not able to count the many little structures, AND there is one(several?) on my lower lip that is/are about 1/4th" that was/were not noticeable during my exam.
Not sure why Dr did not do second biopsy or if/when he plans to do so. set appt for 10 day follow up, I asked how much the follow up would be and the receptionist said she could not tell me because she did not yet know if the follow up would be a regular OV or if a surgical follow up. I was too dumbfounded to form a coherent thought, did not want to appear a total anxiety driven nut case , so I did not ask for clarification.
I read some more about the different types of HPV that can affect the head neck and mouth and really am scared. I did not think to mention to the DR that prior to the lesion showing up in my mouth that the few days leading up to it, I thought I was coming down with the flu and had been having a blocked feeling in my upper chest and neck a bit like choking or gagging that makes it feel like I can't quite get my breath. of course now I am feeling it still but I am telling myself it is anxiety, but I also worry that maybe there are more growths down in my throat maybe the esophagus. as fast as this is growing, I am worry about silly things like it blocking off my airway if I fall asleep to long.

I have only had 1 sexual intimacy in 12 yrs. relationship was still very new when my Father Passed away in 2007, and less than 1 week later, my new Boyfriend passed away. I was not able to get much information from his family regarding his death. was told heart attack and other complications. I do know that 2 weeks prior to his passing he has several biopsies done on scalp eruptions that would not heal and on his tongue as well.
The evening before my Father died, My "boyfriend" called and said there was something he needed to tell me, then he got a call waiting from his daughter and never called me back. My father passed away and with all the final disposition, I did not talk to the "BF" again til the evening before he had his H/A, lost consciousness, went on life support, 5 days later his family took him off the vent. I went to the funeral, it was a horrendous event with the ex wife and the hostile teen daughter( I had only met the daughter 1 time), without provocation the daughter attacked me screaming that I was the "B" that gave her Dad an STD. This totally took me off guard. the daughter was subdued and I left, I didnt feel like I belonged there anyway.
It was apprx a week later that I had thousands of tiny clear fluid filled eruptions in the roof of my mouth, my throat and in my nose and on the insides of my eyelids. I went to the Dr and was told it was a self limiting virus and would go away on its own in a week or two, I asked then if it would be related to having oral sex and the Dr laughed at me and I felt foolish and did not asked fruther questions... Now I wonder........"what did the BF want to talk to me about" ( I will never know) and was that self limiting virus a reaction to exposure to whatever is now causing these growths... I certainly hope I remember to try and hold the doctors attention long enough to ask about it.

Edited for spelling and dropped key strokes.
Posted By: EzJim Re: Fast Growing growth floor of mouth - 09-24-2009 11:44 AM
Penny, don't beat yourself up over things that are past. You have the now and the future to think about. I'm sure your Drs will learn what the problem is with you and do what is needed. Usually there is a follow up visit with your Dr that isn't charged for. It is a part of the initial visit and the cost is included in the 1st visit to the DR. As for what is in your mouth. let the Drs inform yoy of what they have found. It is cancer when the diagnosis says it is and not before. Yes I would be worried like anyone in here would. I can't say don't worry because that is impossible. Good luck and keep us informed.
Posted By: davidcpa Re: Fast Growing growth floor of mouth - 09-24-2009 01:29 PM
Penny,

Your chances of having vaginal HPV is probably in the 80% range JUST LIKE ALL THE OTHER WOMEN IN THE WORLD YOUR AGE.

Your chances of having Oral HPV AND it causing cancer is probably less than 5%.

Your chances are much much much much greater of developing oral cancer (and a million other cancers) from tobacco than it is from HPV.

Again you have to wait until or even IF a biopsy is done to confirm oral cancer.
Posted By: SuzyB47 Re: Fast Growing growth floor of mouth - 10-01-2009 10:51 AM
Well David I must be in that 5% bracket since mine was HPV. Had leukoplakia but they insist that did not cause it but the papilloma did. I would have to be one of the small percentage ones.
Posted By: SuzyB47 Re: Fast Growing growth floor of mouth - 10-01-2009 03:05 PM
I received this email from Penny this morning and am posting it. I do not know why she can't log in but will try to email her again. If anyone else can please email her and can we try to help her get through this first bad nes? Thanks to all who can.

Doc called and said IS cancer wantes me in office right away. he is out of office tomorrow and said Monday was not soon enough, so he will see me at 12:30 today.

Over the last week, I taste blood from my sinus and breath constantly it smells like spoiled meat and the mucus secretions I cough up are terrible tasting, having hard time swallowing. The Doctor has not given me the opportunity to tell him of the neck and chest symptoms, he interrupts and distracts me and I get so nervous I am easily distracted. The growth under my tongue has completely grown back and is larger than before the biopsy, sore throat and tongue and i am having problems with respiration, I have thaat bright cherry thing going on, super pink skin tongue and tissueslike carbon monoxide poisoning. My 11 yr old has no one, there is no other adult memebrr in my family that can help out emotionally, physically, or financially. What do people who have no one else other than their children do to treat and cope with these kinds of cancers? Having no insurance and no financial resourses to cover treatment. well I am not sure what is going to happen and I am so scared.

I tried logging in to the forum, and when i enter my ID and Password it takes me to the forum page but says I am not logged in.

Will write later after see the DR.
Thank You
Penny
Posted By: Eileen Re: Fast Growing growth floor of mouth - 10-01-2009 04:46 PM
Tell her to make certain she is using .ORG not .COM. That was the error I was making when I couldn't get logged in.

Take care,
Eileen
Posted By: davidcpa Re: Fast Growing growth floor of mouth - 10-01-2009 09:25 PM
She sent me the same e mail this am and we have been exchanging e mails all day, in fact I just responded to her latest. I am trying to help her get Medicaid and file her back taxes.
Posted By: SuzyB47 Re: Fast Growing growth floor of mouth - 10-02-2009 12:02 AM
Thank you for I wish I had known about this site when I was going through the beginning back in January 2008. I did no know anyone and felt lost until after surgery. I had no where to turn and had only the oncologist to depend on telling me what to expect. I will keep in touch with her as well for she is going to need a lot of emotional support.
Posted By: Penny6612 Re: Fast Growing growth floor of mouth - 10-10-2009 01:14 PM
BIG Thanks to Davidcpa, His office assistant gave me some really great pointers and directions to work in. Still don't have the medicade issue settled, everything seems to move so slowly, i make calls(usually getting Vmail boxes at the beginning of the week and IF anyone calls me back its usually on Friday to tell me that they will call back the following week. I know I am being very general here, but I am STLL waiting to talk to a real human being for several places that I have been told,"should" be able to help me.

Sold off car that I still owed money on and got back about 1500.00, put the other car in neighbors name(it was causing terrible fights in the family as to who would be getting my car, so much so that my daughter has cut me out of her life and told me not to call her for anything)

FINALLY found(rather they found me) a place out of my county that would do my PET scan for just 1500.00, my local Hospital was willing to take 40% off their fee and only make me pay part down and payments on balance, but even with the medical centers generous? assistance, my fee for the PET would have been in excess of 3+K.
The rest of my quest for help is totally at a standstill, I have been trying to find out more information about my Brothers cancer and surgery(I was told by his ex-wife that his tumor was in the throat 3 months ago and smaller than peanut and that last week tumor removal was finally approved by his medicade and the tissue mass removed from his neck was the size of two grapefruits, and that he was diagnosed with "lymphoma" but she knows nothing else and could not answer any questions as she said that the doctors have not told him anymore(this after being hospitalized for over 3 months?) .
well I hope IF I get on Medicade that I will not only have access to treatment, but would still be nice if I still have a voice and a choice about some things and that I am still treated as a person of some intelligence.

I am meandering. I am sorry. My Pet scan is done, waiting on results and have to go back to that ENT Doc who got ticked off at me when last week I was having terrible neck spasms and could not raise my head and open my mouth fast enough for him, he got angry with me and talked to me like I was a defiant idiot, actually made the statement,"Look, I am having a good day, I will not let you spoil it" and he left without saying or doing anything further and I went to check out was just told to come back in a week. the collective office staff was behind the counter, and I asked in general to the group, where'/who should I call to find someone or organization that might help me get a better focus on whats programs and services are available in the area, and the various reactions from shruggged shoulders, shakes of heads. and whe I looked at any 1 person no one ever seems willing to make eye contact with me. I do not have a good feeling about any of this, but i just really don't know which direction to go.

I want a cure, i dont want to be just babysat util I die
© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum