Hi Karen,
I am happy to talk with a fellow survivor of the same war! I wish what we have in common was something entirely more fun.
As with most positive dialog, sometimes it may seem like an argument. I want you to know this is not intended to be arguing with you personally.
That said, after I read your post I did a google search on "cancer sugar" and came up with this page. Click here to read it:

web page

The author of that article is also the author of the book I mentioned: Beating Cancer with Nutrition.
I am not an expert in this field but fate pushed me to consider ANYTHING that might improve my success this one, sugar, and the broader nutrition was easy to do.

I also want to repeat I do not believe the average MD has enough knowledge in the area of nutrition. Not once did any of the Doc's I saw professionally mention anything beyond the concept of "enough calories so I didn't loose weight".

My observations are also that as a whole we don't eat very well. The "food pyramid were supposed to follow has caused an american fat problem. We consume a huge quantity of sugar and sweetened foods. Many people have to take supplements to get enough of certain nutritional elements. At the same time we have a silent epidemic of dibetes and cancer. Are they related? I can't proove it. I can say that I took substantial vitamin supplements through out my treatments and my rad. doc and ENT were pleased with my recovery...a study of one is NOT conclusive.

I invite more dialog on this subject I think the subject of nutrition is Hugely important and very much under-explored.

Mark, 21 Year survivor, SCC right tonsil, 3 nodes positive, one with extra-capsular spread. I never asked what stage (would have scared me anyway) Right side tonsillectomy, radical neck dissection right side, maximum radiation to both sides, no chemo, no PEG, age 40 when diagnosed.