That is exactly how mine was. I had white patches on my tonugue for years and no one seemed bothered by them. So I never thought anything of this. This past Feb. out of the blue I began to have pain when I ate. I looked in my mouth and saw a small lumo under my tongue. It was extremely painful to the touch and was hard. The dentist said that the fact that it was hard and not moving concerned him. He said he had hope because I was in pain, but that I needed a biopsy ASAP. No one else believed him. You make sure you get that biopsy. It was not until I began to have horrible ear pain asked for pain meds for it, did someone think something needed to be done. This thing came out of no where and grew very fast. It was always painful when I had it looked at because there were pressing on it to find out what it was. Everyon told me iyt was just a sore. The orak surgeon I went to said that it looked like a drill fell in my mouth when I was having dental. My dentist would not touch me until I got this thing out. I have not had dental work in over 2 years. I would have remembered a drill falling in my mouth. If this oral surgeon won't do it, do not stop there. Contact an ENT. You and your body knows when something is wrong. Do not let them drag you along. I did not get anything done for two months. By the time my ENT decided to do the surgery, I was only swallowing liquids. MY ear hurt constantly, and my head hurt to swallow. It still does. I am hoping that is because of the surgery and I am still healing, and not that there is still a tumor in there. Yes, you symptoms are exactly like mine were.

Angelia
31 at Dx.
DX: 4/30/09, 10/21/09 SCC on floor of mouth,
T1NOMO, T2N1M0
TX: 39 IMRT, 8 cisplatin 11/30/09
PET/CT: 11/03/09: Lymph node involvement
PEG/PORT: 11/09
TX end: 02/01/10
PET Scan: 04/05/10 clear
PEG Out: 06/21/10
Biopsy: 12/23/10: fibrosis
HBO: 01/04/11 - ORN