Hey Sandy,

I was a researcher as well....spent hours on the net looking at studies regarding the best chemotherapy drug, worrying about Cisplatin because hubby had/has hearing loss that predates his cancer. Here is what my hindsite concludes:

As David said, the radiation is the weapon that is going to do the ultimate damage to the tumor.

The chemo simply opens the door.

The biggest issue is staying healthy and capable of getting thru all your treatments. This is where the induction vs. just concurrent treatment comes to play. With each chemo, your body gets sicker. Your bloodcounts go down. You feel lousier and lousier, your mouth will have sores and your immune system is pretty compromised. All of this affects your ability to get thru daily ( in my husband's case twice daily)radiation. This does not mean that I am against induction therapy. I certainly don't have the expertise or the statistics to know what is best. I just know the ultimate goal is to complete your radiation treatments with little to no interruption.

This is something that was not on my radar screen. Just thought I would mention it.

Deb

Deb..caregiver to husband, age 63 at diagnosis, former smoker who quit in 1997.
DIAGNOSIS: 6/26/07 SCC right tonsil/BOT T4N0M0
TREATMENT START: 8/9/07 cisplatin/taxol X 7..IMRT twice daily X 31.5.
TREATMENT END: 10/1/07
PEG OUT: 1/08
PORT OUT: 4/09
FOLLOWUP: Now only annual exams. ALL CLEAR!

Passed away 1/7/17 RIP Bill