My team and I have not decided on a treatment plan as yet. As I mentioned earlier I have a very large tumor on the base of my tongue. Possible two small nodes involved. But too small to know for sure. I was not happy with the first purposed treatment of Cisplatin only-with tomotherapy. Felt that I saw a lot of studies on the net that said combo drugs such as Cisplatin and 5-Fu worked better.

Doctors working hard to come up with an aggressive treatment. I'm only 55, female, and good health otherwise. Strong constitution.

I'm getting a little confused. Lots of studies of different treatments and different drug studies, but I personally don't know what has actually been PROVEN (by multiple studies) to work and increase survival rate. (I'm in a little over my head).

My comment made is that my doctor is thinking about "induction therapy." Does anyone know anything about it. It was explained to me that they use a combo of drugs (possible as many as 3) to beat up the tumor, and then what is left is radiated. Pretty aggressive. Saw one small, Stage 3,2008 study with very impressive results, but obviously, can't comment on reoccurance or long term survival.

Hope all this makes sense. Love to have any input
Thanks Sandy

Sandy 56, BOT SCC Biopsy 1/21/09 Stage 3, T3NXM0.
Finished 3 cycle induction chemotherapy 4/7/09. (Chisplatin, 5-fu and Texotere). Re-staged 4/20/09,(very successful.) Will start Carboplatin/radiation 2 Gy/5 days/7 weeks (Tomotherapy) starting May 4th. Finished 6/22/09.
OCF member/supporter