I can see the article's point of view that Listerine can damage cells so that a carcinogen can grab hold and plant it's seed to grow and cause chaos. If ACM's was the main culprit for causing OC I think there would be a lot more of us. Listerine and other ACM's have been around a long long time and if they are the culprit then why not a lot of young OC cases 20, 30 or 40 years ago? Is it a combination of ACM's and viruses, smoking, drinking or other known carcinogens? I don't know, I'm not a scientist. The study proved that it has to be looked at closer by other scientists and studies and I'm sure it's happening.

My grandmother did not smoke, drink, or use Listerine and her and my grandfather had been together for almost 60 years, and her tongue cancer was supposedly caused by a rough tooth. I had a tooth rubbing my tongue and use to get those mouth ulcers, I also held that cell phone to my left ear and averaged 2500 to 6000 minutes a month(every month) and I used Listerine and I drank once a week--they're not sure what caused my cancer but I have suspects. A lot of OC has been proven that viruses was the culprit. We all know what smoking and heavy drinking does to the body.

A healthy person with no risk factors getting OC strictly from using a ACM as directed in the instructions? I don't see it...I don't think our bodies are that weak.

We abuse ourselves and don't listen to great advice or instructions and we all want to blame someone or something for our cancer(s)...whether it's OC or any other type. I think we all know who the real culprit is...it's us...it's humans and the way we live in this world. We have to look at ourselves in the mirror and realize who is accountable.

Liz--I understand your anger...I have a mother with emphysema that continues on smoking to this day...My mother will NOT stop SMOKING...When she dies from this I am not going to be angry with the cigarette company...However, I am MAD at my MOTHER and I will be mad at her when she dies...she knows the cigs are killing her. She's an addict that doesn't want to stop. My step-father had two strokes 5 years ago and he continues on smoking...I'm mad at him too...They know the risks...they know what's going to happen...My grandfather on my dad's side died at 83--his cancer was caused by years of alcohol abuse. He always thought he was going to die young so he told me he made a decision to say the hell with it I'm going to eat, drink and do what I want...My grandfather was lucky he wasn't bitten until he was 83...We all have mirrors.

We all cheat in life and some get away with it and live a very long time...But most of us get caught...some sooner then others. And some of us get second chances and continue on cheating...it's life...we're only human and we all have mirrors.

Only children and animals are innocent the rest of us are guilty.

Last edited by Ray1971; 01-16-2009 06:39 AM.

7-16-08 age 37@Dx, T3N0M0 SCC 4.778cm tumor, left side of oral tongue, non smoker, casual drinker, I am the 4th in my family to have H&N cancer
8-13-08 left neck dissection and 40% of tongue removed, submandibular salivary gland & 14 nodes clean, no chemo, IMRTx35
11-4-08 Recovering & feeling better