I'd love to see New Orleans but please not during the summer or hurricane season. And New Orleans has gambling also so we get all the good food, atmosphere, history in addition to gambling.

The first one was husbands and wives and Danny Boy brought his kids who were in their late teens or early twenties. We met for breakfast and dinner and were on our own the rest of the time. I think there were only about twenty some of us.

As to benefit, my husband came home a changed man. It was like somone had lifted a burden off his shoulders. I obviously had NO clue how much my having had cancer, not once but twice had affected him. There were no support groups when I did this so we were very much on our own. I don't know how much talking the 'guy' caregivers did, but they just seemed to absorb strength from each other in the realization that they were not alone in their feelings and fears. Brian had brought the Lance Armstrong yellow bracelets for everyone and my husband put one on and hasn't taken off since then. It was like a badge of honor. A couple of weeks ago, he had a procedure at the hospital and when I cut off the hospital bracelet, I accidentally cut off the yellow armstrong bracelet. He was so disappointed, it was like I had cut off his right arm. Fortunately I had another so it is back on his wrist performing whatever magic it does.

It was also great meeting people and as Gary has pointed out, somewhat sad because we lost so many that year. Would be fun if this comes to fruition. It really needs someone who had the time and knows the town where it will be held. I think that is what made it happen last time.

Take care,
Eileen

----------------------
Aug 1997 unknown primary, Stage III
mets to 1 lymph node in neck; rt ND, 36 XRT rad
Aug 2001 tiny tumor on larynx, Stage I total laryngectomy; left ND
June 5, 2010 dx early stage breast cancer
June 9, 2011 SCC 1.5 cm hypo pharynx, 70% P-16 positive, no mets, Stage I