One month ago (duh) I posted "How I am 4 months post Tx" and I didn't expect to give an update so soon but something has happened to change my mind. I will first start with the 4 month post for those that didn't see it:

Today marks the end of the 4th month after completeing my Tx and I thought it would be useful to others to post my progress.

Taste-I have almost all my taste back. I would rate it 9 out of 10.

Hair on the back of my head-Beginning to grow back.

Weight-Lost 35 pounds and have regained 5. Not sure I want much more back.

High frequency hearing loss-Was tested at Moffitt and they confirmed permanent HF hearing loss caused by Cisplatium. MO wasn't so sure and said to wait. Either I am getting use to it or it has slightly improved.

Mental capacity-Fully recovered or I'm worse off than I think. LOL

Physical-Muscle strenght 7 out of my 10. Haven't exercised like I use to due to dry mouth.

Stamina-Am able to almost work as much as I use to. Work 9am to 7:30pm. Use to work till 9pm but I am pretty tired by 7:30. Can't keep my eyes open by 10 to 11pm.

Turkey chin-Gobble, gobble, still have it.

Dry mouth-This has been the worst side effect to deal with by far. Not in pain but in affecting quality of life. Just in the last 2 weeks I have noticed a slight change for the better. It's hard to describe but it has improved. I would rate this 9 out of 10 being the worst.

All the other side effects I was dealing with at the end of Tx went away around the 3rd week post TX. Those being: nausea, throat pain, constipation, and maybe a few that I can't even remember now.

All in all I am very pleased with my progress especially considering the way I felt at the end of my Tx and I hope that others who are currently in or recently completed Tx will find this useful.

That was one month ago.

As I said I wasn't planning to followup so soon but just in the past 2 weeks something has improved with my dry mouth. I say something because it's hard to define BUT it has made a great improvement in my eating. I still sip water throughout the day but I don't wake up during the night with mouth related problems any more and my eating has taken a hugh turn for the better. I even look forward to meals now as I am beginning to try some of my old favorites that I had given up on. For instance, I ate a small thin crust pizza by myself the other day (well not all the crust) and I even ate a whole slice without having to swallow liquid. I find myself eating almost like normal, I mean taking 2 or 3 fork fulls before I feel the urge to drink. I don't think my taste has improved but that dry mouth crap has.

It's really hard to describe but something has happened and I wanted to share this improvement so that others may be on the lookout.

I also just had my first birthday post Tx. Kinda wierd but I plan on getting used to those.

David

Age 58 at Dx, HPV16+ SCC, Stage IV BOT+2 nodes, non smoker, casual drinker, exercise nut, Cisplatin x 3 & concurrent IMRT x 35,(70 Gy), no surgery, no Peg, Tx at Moffitt over Aug 06. Jun 07, back to riding my bike 100 miles a wk. Now doing 12 Spin classes and 60 outdoor miles per wk. Nov 13 completed Hilly Century ride for Cancer, 104 miles, 1st Place in my age group. Apr 2014 & 15, Spun for 9 straight hrs to raise $$ for YMCA's Livestrong Program. Certified Spin Instructor Jun 2014.