David,

I'm jealous! I finished Tx about 6 weeks ahead of you and my taste buds are nowhere near a 9 out of 10. I might be a 5 of 10 if I'm lucky and I would say this is still my biggest problem. I lost a total of 40 pounds during Tx, from 185 to 145. I have just within the past couple of weeks moved back up to 150 and may actually try and stay at 160 when I get there. That's a pretty good weight for 6'0".

Nothing tastes exactly like it did before and I still cannot tolerate sweets which I was so fond of in the past. Chocolate tastes horrible and any type of baked dessert automatically tastes burned. A Coke tastes like pure Coke syrup and corn on the cob tastes like someone sprinkled sugar all over it. I am sensing too much sugar flavor in things shere you wouldn't normally taste it such as corn and any type of bread/cracker type food. I can't seem to get much salt flavor no matter how much I salt something. I read recently where taking Zinc Sulfate can help restore taste bud damage from radiation and I am now trying that. It is suggested that 2 to 3 220mg tablets be taken per day.

Bill D.

Dx 4/27/06, SCC, BOT, Stage III/IV, Tx 5/25/06 through 7/12/06 - 33 IMRT and 4 chemo, radical right side neck dissection 9/20/06.