Hi Cindy; I am one of those odd persons who had a recurrence within a month. The neck was sore sore sore and I whined and complained about it while the docs scoped and poked for four months. Finally they did an MRI which revealed a mass...just where I said the problem was. The surgeon cleared his decks and operated immediately doing an extended radical neck dissection. I was sure this was the end of the road for me..yet it's funny how it goes. Here I am 5 months later with my latest MRI as clean as a whistle.
I am aware of my poor prognosis, the docs have reminded me enough, but my good friends and the people on this board also remind me that optimism is a right and is not to be surrendered without a real fight. I also dropped the anti-depressants, only to find myself slogging about in a bog of fear and foreboding. Needless to say, I started them up again pretty quickly.
Although I didn't like spending time in hospital, the surgery was a "short sharp shock", and with the help of a good physiotherapist the recovery is not too bad. Radiation, as you have probably heard from many is the gift that keeps on giving, even after surgery. The stiff radiated tissues are harder to stretch, but if you've come through the rads, this will not be an overwhelming experience by any means.
Please feel free to email me if I can help. I am grabbing a few days by the lake next week but will check my 'puter regularly.
Hang in there...the worst is past.
All the best, Fran B.

SCC Base of tongue diag. April 04 Stage IV, mets to rt. neck multiple nodes 35 rads+8 boosts First recurrence Jan05. Rt.rad neck dissection Feb02/05. Recurred with bone mets in neck July 05.
Committed to survival with dignity.