Hi Marliz,

Yes thyroid problems are common post radiation. I developed symptoms about 18 months after treatments. It seems that around 2 years is when thyroid problems will show up. Hypothyroid (low thyroid output) is usually what will happen.

A very easy home test is to take your temperature before getting out of bed in the morning. If you are running lower than average say 96 or 97 deg. that is a good indication that you may have thyroid issues.

I had posted previously (April 9 2003)the following:

Just before my DR' visit I looked up the symptoms of low thyroid output. I had 8 out of 12 symptoms. Long story short, I was right and I am now on SYNTHROID.

I bring this up for several reasons. First I had no idea how many different symptoms hypothyroid can cause. Second, Any folks who are worried about depression may want to get tested as that can be a symptom of a thyroid problem.

Here are some of the many symptoms:

Rapid and inappropriate weight gain or loss, despite diet/exercise
Constipation or diarrhea
Feeling extremely cold or hot
Cold hands and feet
Particularly high or low pulse rate
High or very low cholesterol levels
High or low blood pressure
Fatigue, exhaustion
Insomnia
Hair, skin and nail problems, hair loss
Puffiness, swelling in eyes, face, hands, feet
Pains, aches in joints, hands and feet Carpal-tunnel syndrome, tendonitis
Irregular menstrual cycles
Infertility, miscarriage
Depression, mood swings
Anxiety, panic attacks
Low sex drive
Sensitive eyes
Heart palpitations
Hand tremors
Hoarse or gravely voice
Neck, throat discomfort, pain, choking feeling

If you have had head and neck radiation, Thyroid output problems are a possible and fairly common side effect. It is also fairly easy to take care of and the test is simple (blood). As I have learned the symptoms can sneak up on you so study up on the symptoms and keep a watch for them.

Generally Hypothyroid results in slower metabolism and can also cause shortness of breath and slow thinking (names are hard to recall) and a general dullness in thought processes.

It is a simple blood test so ask your Dr. if you have any reason. It takes many weeks and even months to adjust the dosage of thyroid replacement hormones so don't wait.

Mark, 21 Year survivor, SCC right tonsil, 3 nodes positive, one with extra-capsular spread. I never asked what stage (would have scared me anyway) Right side tonsillectomy, radical neck dissection right side, maximum radiation to both sides, no chemo, no PEG, age 40 when diagnosed.