HI Bob,

There are many sites on the web with good information about thyroid related issues. This one has good info about the various hormone levels etc.

http://www.csa.com/hottopics/thyroid/overview.html

The blood test is looking for the level of TSH (Thyroid Stimulating Hormone). An elevated TSH indicates Hypothyroid (under producing). I have been told by my Dr. that a number between .3 and 5 is "normal". My number when we figured out the problem was 18 and I felt like S#%t.

I am not sure if this test is included as part of a normal blood series. I asked my ENT to order the test because I had so many symptoms. He did and I was right.

As I mentioned before, your body temprature before getting out of bed is a cheap and easy way to check for yourself. (I would still get the blood test regularly since you had radiation)

Mark, 21 Year survivor, SCC right tonsil, 3 nodes positive, one with extra-capsular spread. I never asked what stage (would have scared me anyway) Right side tonsillectomy, radical neck dissection right side, maximum radiation to both sides, no chemo, no PEG, age 40 when diagnosed.