Maybe as a Chinese and someone who did give acupuncture a try for six months after finishing radiation, I can share my experience.Acupuncture has been found effective in curing a couple of illnesses especially those related to nervous system and has been gaining significance recently in Hong Kong.While there have been plenty of success stories, there are also patients who give up trying acupuncture after spending a lot of money. As I always said, what works on others may not work on ourselves. The acupuncturist I sought help from did tell me honestly that his treatment wouldn't improve my mouth dryness but could help ease my limb numbness. He also gave me some herbal tea trying to stimulate my salivary glands. I stopped visiting him during the SARS outbreak. I really couldn't feel improvement in mouth dryness or limb numbness but I have got adjusted to them and learnt to live peacefully with these side effects. I have to take sugar-free candies or gums to moisten my mouth, without which my voice can become very raspy. Little sips of water can help a lot already. Same old piece of advice. If the acupuncturist is reliable and not charging too much, you can have a try. Just make sure that he practises it in a professional way and in a sanitary environment.

Karen

Karen stage 4B (T3N3M0)tonsil cancer diagnosed in 9/2001.Concurrent chemo-radiation treatment ( XRT x 48 /Cisplatin x 4) ended in 12/01. Have been in remission ever since.