Lefty

wow, digging up a three year old thread. I think it's important to note there is no treatment, medical, or so called holistic. or Eastern or new age woo woo that is 100% effective for xerostomia that I know of. But when it's less than 50 effective and mostly placebo, like acupuncture, some of us find that argument less than persuasive. Obviously, I disagree with your statement that the placebo effect of accupuncture has been disproven. This NIH reported study certainly does not show that, in fact, it throws in question the very basis of accupuncture. randomized accupuncture trial

Still, it does not hurt to try, (except for your pocketbook), and my prothodontist who specializes in oral cancer, sends his more "open" patients for accupuncture (he only smiled when I replied: you mean suggestible?) although he was pretty certain it would not help me and did not recommend it.
I liked the clinical trials that used "fake" accupuncture, that is, they felt like needles but were not, and found the same results as "real" accupuncture, but as you know, there are lots and lots of accupuncture studies with enough different conclusions for everyone. Also not generally a good sign.
Charm

Last edited by Charm2017; 12-21-2012 07:54 AM. Reason: toned it down

65 yr Old Frack
Stage IV BOT T3N2M0 HPV 16+
2007:72GY IMRT(40) 8 ERBITUX No PEG
2008:CANCER BACK Salvage Surgery
25GY-CyberKnife(5) 3 Carboplatin
Apaghia /G button
2012: CANCER BACK -left tonsilar fossa
40GY-CyberKnife(5) 3 Carboplatin

Passed away 4-29-13