I just want to add a few more lines to what Bob has raised regarding the Chinese herbs being an alternative treatment to cancer.I have a strong relationship with Chinese medicine since my father was a Chinese herbalist/acupuncturist (who died last year at the age of 85) and my father in law is currently a Chinese herbalist. However, I have resistance in using Chinese herbs to cure because I think it is not scientific and to me the herb soup is very unpleasant to drink and troublesome to prepare.The place I was born and brought up (Hong Kong) has a very western colour unlike the mainland China and this has a great impact on my choice of western treatment to my cancer. But people around out of their good will suggested different types of alternative therapy including Chinese herbs. As Bob said, you just couldn't say no and so the time before my actual treatment started, I took herb soup every day and night and indeed I felt my body strengthened and more energy going inside. When I started treatment, I stopped taking herbs as my oncologist was very much against Chinese medicine. When the radiation/chemo were over, I took herbs again for several months and quit when I found myself pretty normal.
I am not sure whether these Chinese herbs have helped me in lessening the side effects of treatment,maintaining my appetite,gaining weight within a few months.I feel it is no harm trying alternative therapy provided that is a supplement rather than the only one.We should also let our primary care doctor know what other treatment we have received in addition to the conventional one.

Karen stage 4 tonsil cancer diagnosed in 9/01.

Karen stage 4B (T3N3M0)tonsil cancer diagnosed in 9/2001.Concurrent chemo-radiation treatment ( XRT x 48 /Cisplatin x 4) ended in 12/01. Have been in remission ever since.