I believe you are correct on the 105% Gary, but the employer is not required to pay any part so you are required to pay the total amount including what the employer used to pay. Cobra is usually no bargain unless you have no other choice. It is however an important in-between coverage to keep while you are changing insurance. Many companies will waive a waiting period if you have had continuous coverage.

Christine, My wife and 3 kids were pretty resonable through a private (Blue cross) plan. The best prices are policies with high deductable and co-pay amounts. Check with the agent you buy homeowners or auto insurance. They might be able to offer something. Thank you for the update on your husband. Give him my best regards, and I am sorry I'll not be able to meet him on this side.

There was a time when I considered the reality that we could go broke paying for insurance, or go broke if we got sick. It isn't a very good choice to have to make.

Mark, 21 Year survivor, SCC right tonsil, 3 nodes positive, one with extra-capsular spread. I never asked what stage (would have scared me anyway) Right side tonsillectomy, radical neck dissection right side, maximum radiation to both sides, no chemo, no PEG, age 40 when diagnosed.