Praveen,

My chemo was delayed until I was a month into radiation, due to what was (ultimately) a false positive on a PETscan. I was to have 6 weeks of radiation concurrent with 6 weeks of chemo. Instead, I got one chemo treatment a month after I started radiation. I was already so sick from radiation, I couldn't take the chemo on top of it, and discontinued. After I finished radiation, I went back to the MO and RO to find out if I should undergo the chemo.

The MO said there was no protocol for it, I could try it and if it made me too sick, discontinue. The RO said there's no point, it would be like 'putting on the meat tenderizer after the steak was done' In other words, the purpose of chemo (as I understand it) is to 'enhance' the radiation. Radiation is the curative 'driver'.

Riley

dx 2/13/06. modified radical neck dissection 3/9/06 multiple biopsies of upper airway and direct laryngoscopy. 1 of 47 lymph nodes positive for metastatic undifferentiated carcinoma (lymphoepithelioma). Unknown primary. Finished radiation 5/24/06.