Hi Amy,

So some of us are very stubborn and determined. I came out of the hospital 5 days after my first neck dissection, and proceeded to go back to work 8 days later. True, a desk job, but managed to pull all the muscles in my back out of whack because of weak shoulder and no arms on the chair so suffered for 9 months with PT trying to get put back together.

Radiation started 8 weeks later and I had arranged to have it at 8:30 in the morning because I planned to work for the entire period. I also drove myself. It was 5 minutes away. 8 days in my back pain was so bad I had to quit work, 9 days in I was running a 103 fever, could eat nothing and hit the bed for the weekend and most of the rest of the next 4 weeks. I just could not get warm.

Watch for thrush. I think that is what set me back so badly. I had a rampant case that took 6 months or more to clear. As to eating, as long as he is willing to and can eat he should. I never lost my taste of salt so everything I tried to eat or drink, including water, tasted like salt. If you make your own broth, he may be able to eat things like homemade cream soups. Eggs scrambled, poached, hollandaise, yogurt, carnation instant breakfast in milk, cream of wheat with honey, etc. Those smoothies should help. I found that water had to be ice cold, but then I did not have a PEG. It gets very frustrating. I wouldn't spend hours making his favorite x because both you and he will be very disapointed when he can't eat it. Nor is there any reason the family has to eat the smae thing he does.

Hopefully he will say 'uncle' on the drive sometime not too far in the future, but more power to him for being able to do it so far. Just make certain he is up to it. And yes, you are definitely out of boot camp with 'boots on the ground'. All the best to both of you.

Take care,
Eileen

----------------------
Aug 1997 unknown primary, Stage III
mets to 1 lymph node in neck; rt ND, 36 XRT rad
Aug 2001 tiny tumor on larynx, Stage I total laryngectomy; left ND
June 5, 2010 dx early stage breast cancer
June 9, 2011 SCC 1.5 cm hypo pharynx, 70% P-16 positive, no mets, Stage I