Tina, You didn't say who told you about not being around kids. They may be thinking the radiation is dangerous. This is NOT true if she is having external radiation treatments. If she is getting internal radiation treatments (radioactive seeds) then she will probably be isolated during the time the seeds are in place. Ask her radiation doctor to be sure. Her immune system will be affected by the treatments, so it would be wise to protect her from other common illnesses. She needs human contact however, so don't go overboard on this.

As to her being cranky, some of the pain meds. can cause wild behavior and mood changes. If you suspect this, then see what else they can prescribe.

I know this is all scary and my heart goes out to you and your family (mom too) but she can do this and your helping, is helping!

Mark, 21 Year survivor, SCC right tonsil, 3 nodes positive, one with extra-capsular spread. I never asked what stage (would have scared me anyway) Right side tonsillectomy, radical neck dissection right side, maximum radiation to both sides, no chemo, no PEG, age 40 when diagnosed.