I had lots of swelling after radiation--I still do have some in my neck, though very minor compared to what it once was, so I think it's early days yet in terms of your brother--the swelling from the radaition will go down over time.

I was still taking prescription painkillers at two months after rad and chemo (didn't go off them unti, about four months out--I still had some really bad mouth pain even then) so whatever pain I had from the swelling was controlled pretty well. is your brother getting adequate painkillers? It sounds like if it's pain keeping him up at night the answer is no.Perhaps that is what you should be discussing with his doctor.

Good luck. The recovery period can seem so long and the progress so slow sometimes but it really does get better.

Nelie

SCC(T2N0M0) part.glossectomy & neck dissect 2/9/05 & 2/25/05.33 IMRT(66 Gy),2 Cisplatin ended 06/03/05.Stage I breast cancer treated 2/05-11/05.Surgery to remove esophageal stricture 07/06, still having dilatations to keep esophagus open.Dysphagia. "When you're going through hell, keep going"