Zofran is very effective and works perfectly about 60% of the time according to the manfacturer. It is mostly effective during the first five days of use then you must switch to other anti-emetics like Compazine. There is another similar drug to Zofran but the name slips my mind right now. Zofran also comes in a liquid form that can be used in a PEG tube. They usually infuse Zofran prior to starting the chemotherapy as well. The pills (or liquid) are for afterward.
They also gave me Compazine suppositories which, as time went on, I was very grateful to have in my inventory - at least you can't throw them up. Ativan is another drug to have available. It can be swallowed, placed under the tongue or inserted into the Compazine suppository.

Patch, you mean Duragesic? There is an adjustment period - it will either get better or he will need to find something else.

Gary Allsebrook
Dx 11/22/02, SCC, 6 x 3 cm Polypoid tumor, rt tonsil, Stage III/IVA, T3N0M0 G1/2
Tx 1/28/03 - 3/19/03, Cisplatin ct x2, IMRT, bilateral, with boost, x35(69.96Gy)
"You are a mist that appears for a little while and then vanishes" (James 4:14 NIV)