Joanna,

I'm not a doctor, and certainly no expert in this area, but I did visit a radiation oncologist a few weeks ago, who told me that Ethyol (brand name of amifostine) would definitely reduce xerostomia (dry mouth). According to her, xerostomia is the most debilitating effect of radiation, and the one her patients seem to have the most difficulty with. Not only does amifostine make this condition more manageable during treatment, but it can reduce recovery time, improving salivary function more quickly. She also indicated that Ethyol can now be administered subcutaneously (under the skin).

Perhaps it is the route of administration that is key to your question. Ethyol has always been given intravenously, and the side effects can be nasty: severe nausea and vomiting, and hypotension (low blood pressure). Because of the GI effects, anti-emetic drugs have to be given before the Ethyol (see Kristin's response), which, in turn, is given prior to the radiation, all of which makes the whole process long and tedious, not to mention uncomfortable. According to my reading on the subject, however, subcutaneous administration can greatly reduce the side effects of amifostine, without sacrificing its radioprotective properties.

Another possible side benefit of amifostine is some relief from mucositis, or sore mouth. Although the FDA has only approved it for xerostomia, some clinical trials have reported a lower incidence of mucositis as well.

Once again, please confirm all of the above with your radiation oncologist -- only he or she can advise you properly. But it might be worth asking about the sub-q injection. If you can reap the benefits with less discomfort, why not go for it?

Good luck, and keep us informed of your progress.

Mark

Mark Giles
Stage II Tongue Cancer Survivor