I agree with Wayne about everything tasting terrible. I didn't have a PEG, so whatever I ate went past my taste buds, which were in bad shape most of the time. While I normally enjoy food, I got used to the fact that for several months I would hate mealtime -- it was simply the key to survival.

One of the things that motivated me was the fact that early on I told my RO I did not intend to lose any weight. (I had no idea how hard it was going to be to try to follow through on this, and as it turned out I lost a little over 10% of my pre-cancer weight.) I experimented with a great variety of soft and semi-liquid things and didn't really like any of them -- the metallic taste seemed to be everywhere. The important thing right now is for him to get his daily nutrition quota however he can -- the taste buds can't be allowed to interfere with that.

Cathy

Tongue SCC (T2M0N0), poorly differentiated, diagnosed 3/89, partial glossectomy and neck dissection 4/89, radiation from early June to late August 1989