Hello everyone,

I am new to the list. My husband was diagnosed with undifferentiated SCC on April 3rd. He had a sore throat that began in January and had been to see our primary care physician 3 different times regarding it. He was put on antibiotics everytime. Then he went to the dentist thinking it was related to his teeth. Finally, I made an appointment with an ENT (took 3 weeks to get in). He immediately found the growth at the base of his tongue, the space in between and just touching the right tonsil, 2cm.. A biopsy and rt. tonsillectomy was done the same week. The Dr. did not remove the growth. During the healing time, Wayne lost about 5 lbs. from the pain of the tonsillectomy. After it healed, we went to the RO and he explained the treatment process, then to the MO for his treatment plan. A PET scan was done and showed trace amount cancer in one right node. No further cancer anywhere...next the PEG, then the portacath and a few teeth removed.
His radiation and chemo began on April 30th. He has had 10 IMRT's at 200 so far, will have a total of 37. He also had his firt chemo (cisplatin over 4 hrs. and 5FU over 5 days(, will have one more chemo in 4 weeks. He was mildly nauseaus from the chemo and was given Kytril which worked wonderfully. His main problem has been the metallic taste and his saliva glands are drying up. He has maintained his weight so far and is still eating well.

One thing in his favor (or maybe not smile ) is that I was a certified oncology RN. The RO calls me his coach but, sometimes Wayne I'm sure could find a better term. LOL

The one negative is that everyday, he goes to the MO for the Ethyol SQ injection and then to the RO for the radiation. It is a $50 deductible for each office. Why in the world it can't be done in the same office is beyond me. I asked and was told that the RO nurses refused to "mess" with it. Oh, well, guess we can't change their system.

I want to say that I am very happy to have found this list. It is a Godsend!

Caregiver of husband w/undifferentiaed SCC, TX IMRT X37 @ 200, Chemo Cisplatin, 5FU X2.

Caregiver of husband, age 57, non-smoker, DX: 4/07 w/undifferentiaed SCC, TX IMRT X37 @ 200, Chemo Cisplatin, 5FU X2. TREATMENTS COMPLETED ON 6/20/07!!